Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 5 at Tacoma General

So before surgery I had hoped to be coming home on Day 5.  Now I am extremely grateful for hospitals and medical staff (and researchers and manufacturers and dare I say drug companies...).  I really do believe Dave is receiving the best care and we just need to wait for his body to "kick in gear".  He is in quite a bit of pain as his bowels are "waking up".  Oh!  And you will be so proud or impressed (or grossed out), but I emptied Dave's colostomy bag today!  (Kirstin, you were right, it is a little fun...sorry everyone else, that must be another reason we are friends)  The shocking part of all this, is that I'm not grossed out anymore.  God must have given me an extra measure of grace for this moment, because it is not pleasant and I am a big wimp.

On another fun note, the nurse came in tonight to give Dave some morphine and she said, "You are narcotic naive."  To which Dave replied, "huh?" ...exactly...  I guess that means he doesn't typically use narcotics!  They are good for the pain, but for some reason it hurts to process through his system and it makes him feel yucky.  I am still so proud of him though, he is getting up and walking and doing all he can to get better.

Thank you again (hope I can't say this too much), the outpouring of your love and prayers is sustaining us.  It's so nice to know you care!

This song is stuck in my head right now:

Great is Thy Faithfulness, Great is Thy Faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy Faithfulness Lord unto me!

Don't know if I've ever felt the truth of this song like I do tonight.  Praying for strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow for each of you also.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing and keeping us in the poop loop! :p Hmmmm, don't think I wanna pray that Dave become a master of narcotics....let's go with the body will accept it and let it do it's job. How's that?-! :p

    Love your humor. Love your focus. Love your faith. God's proud of you, Friend. (You too, Dave, since it's *kinda* about you.)

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...