Wednesday, August 31, 2011

All is right in our world again...

We saw Dr. Senecal again today (best Oncologist ever).  He relieved some of our concerns, he has never seen a perforation in cases like ours (as mentioned by our surgeon Monday) and he was very calm about our other concerns.  We were able to voice our questions and fears and he eased our hearts.  We left once again confident in his care of us.

We went on to meet with a nurse for a "chemo teach".  We were taken into a sterile, colorless, quiet room, where about 5 chemo patients were receiving IV treatments.  Seriously, this room needs an Extreme Hospital Room Make Over or dance music, either would help. A nurse walked up to another patient and in the exact voice as Barbie in Toy Story, told her she wouldn't be helping her today since she had a "chemo teach".  Dave and I looked at each other and knew we were in for something entertaining. 

I would take up too much of your precious time telling you all the funny things she said and did (as in airhead funny, not Steve Martin funny).  I wish we had video.  The first thing that happened:  She was explaining that Dave needed to use rubber gloves when touching the medicine.  She pulled out the bottle from the white bag and then put it quickly back in, and said "even touching the bottle burns my hands".  She went to scratch her face, stopped herself and said (in her slow Barbie voice), "I probably shouldn't touch my face?"  She proceeded to hug the bottle of lotion she gave to Dave for hand foot syndrome and told us how wonderful and valuable it is, so valuable in fact that someone "stole all the samples".  The whole 30+ minutes went on just like this.  Dave had to bee line for the door when we left so he wouldn't laugh in front of her.  We laughed almost the whole way home.  Laughter is good medicine, so thank you Barbie, you made our day!  Okay, I have to tell you one more... she said "I would never want to take XELODA, (the oral chemo Dave is taking), in fact I would never want chemo".  Yeah, we don't really want it either...you just have to laugh.

Oh AND Dave starts radiation tomorrow!  In all seriousness, please pray.  He takes his first dose of chemo in the morning, then radiation at 1:30, then another dose of chemo in the evening.  Radiation 5 days a week and chemo twice a day, 7 days a week for 5 1/2 weeks.  Here we go Lord, hold us tight.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting. I was very eager to hear how today went. Guess what? I have a song for you...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkDzII4s4s

    Been playing it on repeat while praying for friends enduring trials and so thankful that Jesus walks with us our entire life...not just part of it...all the way my Savior leads me.

    May you continue to feel His leading during this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part for me was when she stopped in the middle of her sentence and said. " did I loose you? Because I loss myself" it's times like these I'm thankful to be trusting in the Lord to guide us through!!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you guys this morning! Love Kirstin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...you guys! I'm amazed you made it to the door. :p
    I'm praying today...all day...for you both. LOVED the vision your friend had for you. Praying for times of weightlessness.....xoxo~M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!! Barbie will probably be a source of entertainment during this entire experience! I can't believe she said she didn't ever want chemo--who would, you dingbat!!!!! :) Thank you for sharing Dave's schedule with us. I am so happy that treatment has finally started and that work is being done to get rid of this nemesis. Prayers are coming your way for a peaceful day full of God's blessings. Love to you both--

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm, I'm a bit puzzled at who actually needs more prayer...the patient or the nurse who is supposed to be supportive and encouraging! Guess the patient will get the support and encouragement from those who love him. :)
    ~Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy - through it all, you continue to make me smile with your wit and charm...may God give you strength, peace and wisdom in the days to come. We are praying faithfully to the God who is your provider and healer.
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!!!!! That story is so crazy I wonder if she's actually a stress-reliever "plant" so that patients can have hilarious stories to share with friends and family! She's not really a nurse! Smile; you're on candid camera!
    Hope we can bring some "good medicine" your way this weekend -- got your whipped-cream-can-nozzle-pushin' finger ready?!?!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...