Saturday, December 17, 2011

Top 10 reasons you know your husband has been in the hospital too long

So when your husband is in the hospital far too long...you begin to list the reasons that will prove your point.

1. You know every route to Tacoma General, which one is the fastest and which one passes a Starbucks on the way. (yes, all routes lead to a Starbucks...)
2. Your kids know how many steps it is from their daddy's room to the end of the hall (256).
3. You know which valet drivers take the longest to get your car (this is helpful information, since if one of these drivers goes to get your car, you know you can make it to the bathroom and back before they return).
4. You have the cafeteria menu memorized and you've even tried the sushi.
5. You hold a contest to name your husband's stoma, and have multiple entries! Top Contenders: Stomama, Gus, Tunga the Stoma, Poop Faucet, Oscar the Pouch, Stanely...however the winner is Don Loverin with "Innard Skynard"
6. You can find things in the supply closets at the hospital faster than in your own closets at home.
7. You stand in the hallway talking with other patients about their bowel movements.
8. You've been asked multiple times if you work at the hospital, you reply no and yet proceed to help them anyway.
9. You kinda like throwing away your husbands stylish hospital socks everyday (disposable socks, brilliant invention, never have to worry about finding the match from the dryer!)
10.  You haven't been to a store in so long, you forget which stores have automatic doors and which do not...

The good news for today, is that I may not have to come up with any more reasons.  I think a discharge date may be in our near future.  Dave has been able to "process" the food he's received so far these last 24 hours, granted none of it was solid food.  Baby steps, we'll get there.  I'm hoping he'll go to a low fiber diet today or tomorrow and be home early next week.  Ahhh, these long couple of weeks will make coming home even sweeter. 

Thank you for walking along side us, giving money, food, cards, meals, hugs, prayers and encouragement.  While I was taking my aunt to the YMCA yesterday, I told her I had friends buying, delivering, setting up and lighting a Christmas tree for us.  She said, "You have the nicest friends".  Yes, yes I do.  My kids were sooo excited to get a tree, it smelled so good walking in our house.  (Thank you Bankes and Van Houtes that was a bigger blessing than I realized)

So onward Christian soldier...a new day has begun!  Love you all ~

3 comments:

  1. Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice! Let your forbearing spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ. Phil.4:4-7
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nancy,
    I am so happy this experience is almost over. You've really been strong and so have the kids. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. We love you all. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think you missed your true calling--you could be an author because you have an amazing gift for words and expressing your thoughts in a beautiful way AND you should have gone to nursing school with me way back when because you have the amazing gift of loving the sick and helping those that need help, love and encouragement. Praise God for a HOMECOMING soon for your sweet hubby. I'm so happy you have friends that helped with a Christmas tree. That has been on my mind a lot that your family needed this. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...