Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Day 2011!

Merry Christmas! It has been a long day (week, month...) And I am ready for bed, but thought I'd better quickly do another update that is a little happier than the last!

Last night we are all able to go to church together for the candle light service. It was amazing! I cry every year as the one candle ignites the rest and there is a crescendo of light causing the sanctuary to glow and radiate warmth. We end with singing Silent Night holding our candles high. I was overcome with the emotions of the last four months, barely comprehending all my husband has endured. Then to wrap my head around that one "silent night, holy night" over 2000 years ago. He came to earth that we may have direct access to God.  Overcome again.  I realized those around us, holding their candles high, were some of the very ones God used to bring light to our dark journey with cancer.  How we have been blessed by our friends and family, what an incredible difference they (you) have made.

We have been trying to live life as "normal" as possible for the sake of our kids...okay for us too (what is normal anyway?).  We gave our traditional Christmas Eve present of pajamas to the kids.  Then stockings and a few gifts Christmas morning at home.  This year Julia wanted to use her own money to buy us gifts.  We went to Ross the other day and Daniel and Julia were at the jewelry counter.  I stood back to give them some "space" and let them pick out my present.  Julia ran over to me and held out a $10 bill.  She said a man handed it to her and said "Merry Christmas".  She had been trying to get Daniel to fork over $1 to help pay for his gift to me (which she was buying for him to give to me!)  And this young man just gave her $10!  The best part is they used it to buy me earrings.  Not the best as in "hey cool, I have new earrings", but as in "hey cool, my kids were just given cash and they still chose to use it to buy a gift for someone else"!  Thank you to the stranger that chose to bless our family.  Julia made a penguin out of craft foam, attached a yarn scarf and put my earrings in it.  It is way groovy!  I love it.  I am so grateful Dave was home for Christmas so he could figure out the Transformers that Daniel received.  See above pictures.... 

My sister Lily (along with husband and son) came over from Pullman (via Seattle) to celebrate with us.  This is a picture of the new sweater Christopher received from his grandma : )  Their daughter, Kaileia, moved over to Hawaii this fall so she celebrated with us via Skype.  I sent her a package that included some molding clay.  I gave the same thing to my children, so tonight on Skype they all made a bird's nest.  The picture below shows Daniel and Julia's bird's nests and Kai's is on the computer screen!  It's hard to see hers, but it is really good!

We also went to see Dave's dad at the nursing home in Tacoma and got to see my H.S. BFF and her whole family (5 siblings, spouses, kids, dogs..Anne it was so good to see you and hug you today!  I miss you so much, why does North Bend seem so far away?)  We ended at my parents, enjoying a yummy ham dinner and opening more gifts.  It was a great day.  I think having things to do and getting out was good for Dave.  I noticed a big difference today compared to earlier this week.  He still is experiencing quite a bit of pain and he gets tired so quickly.  He fell asleep about the same time we walked in the door!

So yeah for good days!  Oh and thank you to my "Russell" family who came over to sing a Christmas carol and deliver homemade caramels and fudge!  That also encouraged Dave (and the rest of us!). 

I do have to admit there was another "Nancy" moment at church last night.  (Those of you that know me well, know just what that means).   We were singing "O Holy Night" and there is a line that says "Long lay the world in sin and error pining"  and I laughed singing "pining" since I think I said "pinning" and thought instantly of "pinterest" on the Internet and wondered What would Jesus "pin" on pinterest?  Then I thought what does "pining" mean and aren't I weird to understand "pinning" and not "pining"?  Don't worry, I'm shaking my head too...I sincerely hope you had a wonderful day also.   Goodnight!



1 comment:

  1. hi friend--you just make me laugh and shake my head...:) What is pininterest? I think I need to go check it out. I love you and am so happy that your Christmas day was wonderful with your family. Getting back to your new "normal" will be a good thing for you, Dave, and the kids. I spent the day welcoming new babies into the world. We had a delicious potluck and lots of good cheer was had by all. Keeping you all in the forefront of my mind and prayers--oh, by the way--our family raised $1370 for charity in our new Christmas tradition of no stockings and giving instead! Isn't that an amazing testimony of God's generosity and kindness to others? Love you!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...