Friday, December 2, 2011

Cancer Free - Day Two

Well, this hasn't been officially stated, but looking back at today sometime further down the road, I think I will see that this is Day Two of being cancer free for Dave.  It feels so good to be post-surgery.  In a way, I feel like I was holding my breath the last four months. We still don't know what the next four months will look like, each day will tell as it unfolds.  One thing that hasn't changed is that we are still waiting.  Waiting for the pathology report, waiting to find out when Dave can be discharged, waiting to find out what our chemo treatment will be...waiting for Dave to heal fully from being sliced open : ) 

And I am still grateful too.  Grateful that the surgery went so well, thankful we had the best possible surgeon, thankful that Dave is working so hard at getting better (doing everything the nurses ask - he is being a great patient).  I'm also filled with gratefulness for my amazing friends and family.  I have been cared for in every possible way.  I don't think I have one need tonight.  I am sure I will not be able to thank you all for everything you've done, you've turned a very difficult situation into something very bearable. 

I ran into a friend tonight at the hospital deli.  Her husband has a malignant brain tumor that was removed this morning.  I felt an instant kinship with her and my heart ached.  Do you ever feel like there are so many hurting people or problems in the world that you can't possibly make a difference?  I think of the orphan crisis, natural disasters, the homeless in Pierce County, friends that have lost loved ones recently...it can be overwhelming.  I gave my friend a hug, told her I have a name of a great oncologist, tried to encourage her and hoped I made a difference.  Then I thought of all of you, how you've prayed, sent encouraging words, given meals, money, childcare, chocolate...you have made a difference.  You have shined the light of Jesus in a world that is filled with selfishness, pride and pain.  I am challenged by you to live my life to make a difference, even one life at a time.  Thank you!

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.  Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Psalm 37:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...