Tuesday, December 20, 2011

First Day Home

We've been home almost 36 hours, but who's counting? While it is definitely good to be home, it's no walk in the park! Dave is still trying to figure out pain management (thanks Kirstin for being our "home health nurse"). I'm frustrated I can't do more to help him, I think some of it will just take time. It feels like one chapter of our journey has closed and this next chapter is not quite as "exciting" as the last. Practically since diagnosis I have anticipated surgery, looked forward to it actually. Now surgery is over and it's like we don't have something to look forward to...I can't quite explain it.

The other day at work a man came in the office, at first I thought he was homeless and he might ask for money or food. He asked to talk to our Pastor. Jim was not in that day, so he posed his question to me. He asked me what it meant to take up your cross daily and follow Christ. I immediately had to silently repent of my instant judgmental thoughts and switch gears to try to humbly answer a great question. I had a nice brief conversation and found out quickly that this sweet older gentleman loved Jesus and desired to grow in his faith. As I ponder that question myself in light of our circumstances, I wonder if taking up my cross is daily dying to my selfish whims and wishes and patiently serving my husband, with no knowledge of a "turn around" day. Please don't get me wrong, Dave is being fantastic and I am beyond happy to help care for him. It's just hard seeing him in pain and spending Christmas break on pain killers (Dave, not me, just to set the record straight!)

I realize we haven't even been home two days, it will get easier (right?). Please pray we can manage Dave's pain and he would not get discouraged with the time it takes for healing to be complete. Thanks once again for your encouragement and support, it is difficult to imagine walking this road without you.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be your home health nurse, too! Go Kirsten! :) I will pray for good pain management tonight and tomorrow. Sounds like you're "coming down" from all the excitement of being at the hospital and a successful surgery. Give yourself lots of time and patience. Love Dave up and enjoy this Christmas time with a cancer-free husband! Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...