Monday, December 5, 2011

Poop

(Note: if you get queasy easily, I just wouldn't read this post if I were you, but for some odd reason, I'd like to remember some of these details!)

Remember when I said I have a hard time with titles for the blog?  Well, this was easy, just maybe not appropriate for the faint at heart (TL).  Dave was a trooper enduring a long day of discomfort with a 12 foot tube stuck up his nose.  I grimaced just looking at the tube, I cannot imagine what that feels like (nor do I want to...).  I lost track after about 3 liters of how much fluid was removed from his stomach, but it was enough to definitely tell a huge difference. 

One of the reasons he needed this NG tube was because of his "sleepy bowels", basically, they are not doing their job!  However, Dave just called and said his stoma pooped!  This is good news, probably not quite the medical term, I actually call it his "guts".  I can't remember if I've mentioned Dave has a temporary colostomy bag.  It's see through.  Be super happy I do not bring my camera to the hospital!  They basically pull out part of his intestines, put a hole in them, then leave them hanging outside his stomach attached to a bag and let his colon resection fully heal before allowing anything to pass through.  We have been waiting for something to exit his upper intestine and enter his colostomy bag.  And this is what happened tonight!

On a nicer note, because this has been quite the post...Dave's mom came today!  It's so nice to have her here.  We had a wonderful homemade dinner made for us with love by a dear friend, then my MIL did all the clean up while I went next door to help my aunt.  We were able to get back to the hospital in record time (for what it would have taken me to do all that myself).  I really hate to be away from Dave, so thank you for doing so much for us to ease the stress of this cancer journey.

Today was filled with more blessings than we could ever deserve.  We continue to be humbled by your lavish love.  A friend gave me a bag filled with gifts and wrote, "may these pampering gifts remind you of the sweetness and comfort of Jesus" and that is just what you are all doing for us.  We are more and more mindful of God's extravagant love for us.  (But God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8)  He has given the greatest gift in His son Jesus, but you are each a gift to us also.  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. It is great news... all that liquid removed from his stomach... and his system beginning to work again. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things that you never thought that you'd rejoice over, huh? Praise God for the little things, and for the success that Dave's been experiencing. I pray for his continued improvement ever day! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Lord, your compassions never fail and your mercies are new every morning: We give you thanks for giving our brother David both relief from pain and hope of health renewed. Continue in him, we pray, the good work you have begun; that he daily increasing in bodily strength, and rejoicing in your goodness, may so order his life and conduct that he may always think and do those things that please you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...