Thursday, August 4, 2011

First Post

How do I begin?  There is so much I want to remember in this journey.  First I need to say, I am so proud of my husband.  He has been amazing in these days of revealing.  As each new piece of information was given, he continued to be strong and positive, trusting God is in control.  Dehydration, fever, bacterial infection, cat scan, inflammation, x-ray, lesions on liver, bad news...cancer, colonoscopy, biopsy, treatment, surgery, chemo.  All these are words that did not shake him.  And when the rectal cancer was confirmed he held me as I cried.  Wow, I love this guy.

As a quick summary, what we have been told.  The colonoscopy showed the cancer, Dr. Lee was able to show Dave the mass.  Don't think he meant to...Dave was looking at the screen and he said,"What is that?".  Dr. Lee said, "Are you awake?!"  Not the words I would have wanted to hear : )  Dave did not have any pain or physical discomfort during the procedure, and he was able to view everything on the screen.  A biopsy was taken, it will be ready on Friday, but it is clearly cancer.

An ultrasound showed that the "lesions" on Dave's liver are just cysts, there is one on his kidney as well, but they are fine and staying put.  This was good news as the doctors believe the cancer is localized (that is has not spread).

We have an appointment next Thursday with the oncologist, Dr. Chris Chen (anyone know this guy?).  The "nurse navigator" will set up our appointments and help coordinate treatments. We are told we have 5 weeks of treatments and in 3 months (from now) Dave will have the cancer removed.  Then more chemo.  However, I'm holding these things loosely since we haven't even met our "quarterback" (word described by our surgeon for the oncologist).

I just need to stop right here.  I just giggled.  Did I just type all that?  Cancer, doctors, treatments?  Seriously?  Is this our life?  We would never have chosen this road, but it has been chosen for us.  Yes, truly, I am grateful.  There I said it.  Of course I do not want my husband to suffer one bit, I'd like him to complain about an achy back or a sinus infection maybe, but cancer...I don't want that for him.  HOWEVER, I believe with every ounce of who I am that the Lord is good, that He is in complete control, that not one thing is allowed into our lives without His okay.  How can I not praise Him?  We are facing our giant, his name is cancer, but the Lord Almighty is on our side and the battle is His.

There is so much more I need to share, but I should also try to sleep.  Lots more to come, lots more.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us go down this road with you, Nancy. Your heart has a great voice and I am encouraged by your faith, as I am sure your husband is, and many others, through this blog, will be. God is good and He has allowed every bit of sunshine and rain into our lives. Get some sleep tonight and just rest in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you let yourself start writing. Will be praying for you and your family from far away. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly amazing, my dear friend. I have already been encouraged by the display of your awesome faith in our Lord. Keeping your family foremost in my prayers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a woman of courage and strength, my friend, with a faith that is an example to all of us. It is a privilege to pray with you and Dave. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, Friend. Thank you for allowing us to share in this with you. We are NEVER asked to walk this road alone ... know that we are all here for you all.

    It was so sweet to hear Eli ask questions and then pray for Dave last night - that he wouldn't be in pain. 'Will he lose all his hair, Mama? (pause) Well, at least he won't have that much to lose, will he?' :) A little ray of sunshine on a stormy day/week/.....

    So grateful for our God that hears our prayers, holds our tears, and sends his peace to our hearts. xoxo~M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if your first post is any indication of the character of the rest of your entries, I will definitely need to buy some more Kleenex. I absolutely love and adore you and your family and I am with you every day in prayer. God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be praying for you and your family as you walk this road....Just remember that you are not alone. I walked this road last year with breast cancer and I cannot imagine doing it without knowing that He held my hand through all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy your writing is perfect. How does anyone not want to cry at the beginning and rejoice at the end... Beautiful thoughts. Kevin and I are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave is blessed to have such an incredibly strong, loving and caring wife. You must know, also, that you both have friends and family that are going to be walking every foot of this road with you and your whole family... supporting you in whatever way we can with each step that is taken.

    God is in control. He is faithful, and he is Lord of all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, we are praying for you, Dave and the kids, and are thinking of you constantly with love and support.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...