Monday, August 15, 2011

Wait

Each Psalm in the Bible has some kind of explanation about that Psalm or a note if it is "of David" or "for the choir director".  I am certain that a few hundred years ago, under Psalm 27 a note was left out.  I think it said "A Psalm for Nancy Shaffer".  This passage had been life for me at pivotal times during my journey with the Lord. 

In my Bible, verse 1 has a note next to it, "Retreat 2001".  This was the first Women's Retreat I led and the theme verse that God gave for that year.  (The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?) Next to the last two verses I wrote, "my promise for Julia Grace".  They were verses the Lord gave to me when I didn't know if we'd ever have children.  (I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord..)

Pastor Jim read "my" Psalm over Dave and me when we were in the hospital.  The last verse says, "Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord"  Next to that passage I wrote the date that day: 8/2/2011, the day we were told Dave had cancer.  I remember Pastor Jim saying we had some waiting to do.  I don't remember why he said it, I just remember it penetrating my heart. 

And that brings us to today...we are waiting.  Waiting to see when surgery will be, waiting to see if we will get a PET scan, waiting to see if they can get out all the cancer, waiting for treatment, waiting for the next doctor appointment, and the latest: waiting for a second opinion.  After several phone calls we are waiting to see if the Oncologists office we saw on Thursday will FAX over Dave's record to another doctor.  They said it would take 7-10 days.  Really?  I wanted to say, "do you know we are dealing with cancer?", but then I realized who I was talking to and of course they know it.  What they don't know is that it took a lot of courage for me to even make that phone call!  I don't want to rock the boat and get them mad at us!  I know, ridiculous...again.  It took awhile to muster up that courage to ask for a second opinion(for treatment, not diagnosis, we feel like that is accurate) and now that I've done it, I really want it!  I so desperately want to meet this other doctor and see if we "connect" better with him than with the first.  For crying out loud, his name is Dr. Senacle, doesn't that sound like a name of a doctor for Dave?

If I can get enough courage tomorrow, I'll call back our doctors office and see if I can help expedite the process, by picking up the paper work or anything else.  We really want to meet with this doctor before we meet with our surgeon on August 29, if this is the Lord's will, may the doors be made wide open right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...