Saturday, August 6, 2011

Press On

I realized that this blog is supposed to be about Dave (yet it sure seems to be a lot about me!) and I haven't included a picture of Dave.  I guess under "About Me" I have a picture of him and the kids walking, however that is from behind.  (Which makes me think of the many jokes we've already heard about rectal cancer, like being the "butt" of many jokes...I digress)

Tonight Pastor Reg shared a message, What to Remember; What to Forget.  The photo above is from almost one year ago, down in a park in Olympia.  We had a really wonderful day.  I love when the four of us get to go out on little adventures, I think those have been some of my favorite moments.  So in the message tonight when we are commissioned to Forget Past Failures and Past Successes, I wondered how this sweet memory fits into the message.  Sorry, but I want to cling to this picture, to this memory BC (Before Cancer). 

The scripture Pastor Reg used was from Philippians 3:13-14 here is a piece of those verses: ...but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead...
It dawned on me.  If I dwell (or camp) in the past, I will miss out on today and whatever tomorrow may bring, which are better things.  We are to press forward (pursue relentlessly) and there you have it.  The joy is in the journey, in the pursuit.  How can we do that if we only look back?  There is so much more in store for us, in this world and in the next.  So we will press on, making new memories, serving God through our cancer, getting out of bed on those days we just want to hide, and rejoicing in all circumstances.  There is a prize that awaits and it is better than any day in Olympia!

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture of Daniel and I. The first time I saw it it made me think of my responsibility for his future. " look Daniel this is the direction you need to go, see way out there that's where you will end up. " I know I don't have the final say so about my childrens futures. But when I first heard cancer I heard we're taking away everything, including you helping with your childerens futures.
    Many people have said you don't seem very concerned about this cancer thing. Well ....... I am. I'm alittle nervous, but more afraid of the unknowns that the future has instore for us. That is the unknowns to man. The one thing I know for sure without any doubt God is incontrol, no matter what I want it's going to go according to his plan. So I have decide to climb aboard and hold on tight. I believe God will not give any of us more then we can handle. So that means we can handle this. That's how it's written in his book so that's the living truth. I will beat this, I will be there as my children grow up and I will grow old with my wonderful wife of twenty years. Easy road to travel? No!! But for some reason the one God has put infront of us. So to my Havenly Father- lead the way we are ready to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Nancy opened the can of worms when she talks in this post about the "butt" of many jokes. And while I found this post and Dave's comment to be very inspiring and full of faith ... after reading them, I smiled and thought of this:
    Pumbaa: It's like my buddy Timon always says: you got to put your behind in your past.

    I am confident that we will be able to look back on this time and see that God brought complete healing and indeed, Dave's behind is in his past. And the years ahead will hold more joy, more victories, more miracles, than we can imagine.
    To finish the quote from The Lion King = Timon: No, no no. Amateur. Sit down before you hurt yourself. It's "You got to put your past behind you."

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...