Thursday, August 4, 2011

Looking Back - July 28, 2011

Looking back and noticing God's work in our lives is a good thing.  I have several (okay lots) of journals starting back in High School through many of my adult years.  Occasionally, I'll read through some of them and notice God's leading, discipline, protection, and presence.  Yes, I admit there are LOTS of entries that are selfish, prideful, shallow and quite embarrassing, but we won't talk about those...yet.  Maybe when I need a laugh, I'll share one of those with you!

All this to say, God did something very powerful that I have to get into words so that when the days or moments come when I want to give up, I'll remember.  I woke up this morning thinking about today's post, but I wanted permission from a friend to quote one of her facebook entries.  Well, guess who I sat next to today at a most special tea party?  Drea, my friend I wanted to quote!  I did ask permission and she graciously said yes.

Here is her fb post from Thursday, July 28:

"Hebrews 11:34 tells us how the men and women of faith "from weakness were made strong, BECAME mighty in war" (Heb 11:34). They didn't start strong, but BECAME strong as they fought their battles. Do you feel too weak to face your battle? So did the great men and women of faith. But, trusting God, they faced their battles and each battle made them stronger! You will become stronger as you fight the enemy." 

I wish there were words for what happened to me when I read this.  I still don't comprehend it myself.  I told my friends today it was like I got punched in the gut, the kind of punch that takes the wind out of you.  I commented, "...struck me to my core." 

At that moment I knew I would be experiencing a battle and was keenly aware of my weakness.  That was Thursday, two days later, a perfect stranger (ok, he is a doctor) in an emergency room told us he thought Dave had rectal cancer.  Yup, I feel too weak to face this battle, but know without a doubt He is strong.  The battle is His and I can breath again.  (which is good since I need to go hide my journals now...see ya)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing that! How many times have I read that verse and missed that?!! I looked up the word "weakness" in Strong's:
    Want of strength, weakness, infirmity
    a) of the body
    1) its native weakness and frailty
    2) feebleness of health or sickness
    b) of the soul
    1) want of strength and capacity requisite
    a) to understand a thing
    b) to do things great and glorious
    c) to restrain corrupt desires
    d) to bear trials and troubles

    I am weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...