Monday, August 22, 2011

Since Dave was diagnosed...

"A person who lives in faith must proceed on incomplete evidence,
trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse." ~ Philip Yancey

I feel like I've been sitting in a holding pattern, waiting, waiting, waiting.  In some ways it seems like an eternity since cancer has been confirmed.  Yet it has only been 20 days.  Why haven't they done anything yet?  If we were a TV drama, Dave would have made it through surgery and we'd be planning our daughter's wedding by now.  I've come to realize life does not imitate art (not that TV dramas are art!)  and also that the dreams I've held close may not be the dreams the Lord has for us.  This is not the life I planned.  And I'm glad.  Life would have been orderly, sorrow free, neat, tidy, wrapped in a bow...and empty.  I am more in love with Jesus today than I was yesterday and even that is all His doing.

So I don't forget some of the sweet memories of the last few days, here is a short recap:
  • We enjoyed sunny weather, jet skiing, kid kayaking and had yummy dinners on the porch with family and friends.  Last night we even enjoyed a performance by the children, a drama they wrote about princesses, bad guys and blood (aka blackberries)...I don't think it will make it to Broadway.
  • I soaked in the sweet conversation in the back seat of the car between Julia and her BFFFAE (best friend forever for all eternity), Brenna.  They talked about being roommates one day in college.  Julia said she didn't want to go far, she wanted to be close to us.  (Unless the University of Hawaii has a good program for teachers!)
  • I read a book in 3 days (273 pages), this is a big deal for me!  AND I cried through about 200 of them.  My dear friend gave me Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman
  • Countless people have recommended Dr. Senecal as an Oncologist.  We go to see him on Wednesday for a "second opinion".  Right before I started this post a sweet friend (Melissa) wrote me a message that said she used to work for him!  And she highly recommended him also, wow
  • I started researching recipes for Dave, to help fight off this cancer, or prevent it from spreading
  • I have continued to be encouraged by friends and family (thanks Sharon H for the gifts!)
As my friend Kathy shared, "I am finding that I'm not "sweating the small stuff" since Dave was diagnosed. I am enjoying the beauty around me more since Dave was diagnosed. I am not taking my days for granted since Dave was diagnosed..."

I do believe my life has been made richer since "Dave was diagnosed".  I am making the choice to live by faith, not knowing what tomorrow will bring (or the next day or week or month), but trusting (at a new level) in God's perfect plan for us. And trusting that His dreams for us will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...