Thursday, August 11, 2011

Humbling

The week before we found out about Dave's cancer we were looking at the humility of Ruth.  I love to study God's Word with friends, it has to be at the top of my list of favorite and filling activities.  Here is a quote from our book that I underlined:

Seasons of hardship and humbling don't show up in the "how to feel good" articles, but let me appeal from the pages of Scripture that perhaps nothing is more beneficial for us in the long run.

I remember our agreement on the fact we are often closest to God when we are in hardship or trial.  Yet, how does this humbling process take place?  This experience with cancer is teaching me humility.  It is really difficult for me to ask for help, or to even receive it graciously.  I think I should be able to "take care of myself" because people have other concerns that need  their attention.  (I know, I know...ridiculous) 

We are only a week into this adventure and already we've been given gifts, cards, prayers, hugs, tears, child care, meals, welcomed advice, anniversary $, quality time and more.  Today though just about did me in.  In the mail was an anniversary card from my niece, Kaileia.  Inside she wrote that she deposited our deductible for our medical bills in our bank account as an anniversary gift. (that sneaky sister of mine...getting my bank account #!)

I read the note out loud and cried (again).  This is a 22 year old young woman, that could have bought any number of wonderful things for herself (and deservedly so, she is a hard worker and wise with her money).  This is humbling.  Every part of us cried out, "don't take it, give it back!"  Yet the Lord gave her the heart to be generous, loving and kind to us and we can't take that away.    James 4:6 says, "...God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

So, we graciously say thank you Kaileia, you have blessed us beyond words, not only with an extremely generous gift, but with your amazing heart and love for us and for Jesus.   We love and adore you. 


Humbly Yours,
Uncle Dave and Aunt Nancy (aka FAN)


1 comment:

  1. Kaileia gets that from her Mom, right? Just kidding!!! I am so incredibly proud of her also. She loves genuinely. When she is your friend, you couldn't ask for someone more faithful. And she absolutely adores her Uncle Dave, Aunt Nancy, and her cousins, Julia and Daniel!!!
    P.S. That is such a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...