Wednesday, November 2, 2011

CT Scan

We met with our Radiation Oncologist yesterday (I finally figured out his title by looking on the Internet just now...).  He's a really nice guy and great at explaining very complicated jargon into everyday language for the common man...and woman.  Everything seems fine.  He asked if we would like a CT Scan before surgery.  Yes!  I'd like to see with my own eyes that God has healed Dave.  Dr. Singh would like to make sure the cancer hasn't spread.  Uh, what?  I didn't think that was an option.  He said in the very slight chance that the cancer has spread, then it wouldn't be prudent to do the surgery.  Slap.  That came out of no where. 

You know when you have lots of really bad news and then there is this little ray of hope,  you just cling to it will all your might.  Well, I feel like we've had consistently good news (in the world of cancer), then this ray of despair is introduced.  I have to choose not to cling to it, but rest in all the goodness that God has shown thus far.  There is so much hope it's ridiculous that I would give space in my thoughts for this small idea of the cancer spreading. 

My friend said this news (or thought) is like the thick fog that rolled in this morning, it had distorted my vision.  It left a heaviness in my heart, but praise God, the fog lifted and it was a beautiful day with an amazingly clear view of Mt. Rainier!  (If you live in Lakewood, you know just what I'm talking about)  God has allowed the heaviness to leave my heart and He has given me a clear picture of who He is, the Creator, the Sustainer, the Healer, the God who is Mighty to Save, the Way, the Truth and the Life.  There is no one like Him. 

So the scan is next Monday and we meet with Dr. Singh on Wednesday to find out the results, and whatever we see, or don't see, God will still be the same and I can cling to that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Monday came and went - No Shaffers for us. How'd it go? Let us know whenever you want to drop your kids off again! If you still haven't found a place for them during surgery - we'll be here.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...