Saturday, November 26, 2011

Five




Five, hmmmm, we are down to counting on one hand.  I had a nice walk and talk with Kirstin today.  (Happy Birthday! Two more years till we do our colonoscopies together!)  She let me talk and verbalize lots that has been in my head.  I confessed to her that I didn't really understand how Dave was feeling (sorry honey, wish I did ~ well, no I don't, but I wish I was more compassionate).  Anyway, Dave has been struggling. He isn't feeling good (and any of you with chronic illness out there, know how draining that can be) and he's worried about the surgery and the kids.  My attitude has been, "Surgery? Great! Let's obliterate this cancer!" I haven't really pondered all that surgery means.  This is all new territory for us.  Dave has been very positive and brave that it hasn't been that hard on me.  There have just been so many reasons to praise God, that my focus has been there and not on the "what ifs".  I just can't let my mind formulate things that could go wrong.

  That's why this is my verse today:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  Philippians 4:8


My Young Life leader in High School had me memorize this and it has saved me many times over the years.  So what are you thinking about right now, what thoughts have been running through your mind?  Are they true, honorable, right, pure?  If yes, praise Him, if no...you better do a 180 because you are headed down danger highway.

Yet even as my thoughts dwell on what is lovely and worthy of praise, I need to be practical also.  How is Dave feeling, what can I do to bring peace?  How can I plan well for several days in the hospital, how do I prepare my kids emotionally?  What should I make for dinner?  Yeah, you are right, I can't do all that : )  So feel free to give me advice or ideas.  Pray I remember to do the important things, that I'll be patient and compassionate and pray for Dave to have peace these next few days.  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...