Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We have chemo

So a couple of posts ago I mentioned we were working through the "red tape" of insurance to get Dave's chemo pills.  After yet another phone call yesterday it finally got worked out, they agreed to ship the pills to the local Walgreens, it should arrive today.  (Keep in mind, Dave has been out of pills for 7 days and the pharmacy has had this in stock the whole time...my patience was being tried!)

I went to pick up the pills today.  After looking at the computer screen for too long, this nice young man asked a co-worker what was happening with our order.  She said, "Oh, they tried to deliver it earlier today, but no one answered the door so they left with your pills." 

What!?  UPS just tried to deliver thousands of dollars worth of life saving drugs to your door and you didn't answer it!?  At least, that is what went through my head.  What I think I said was "We really need this today, when can I expect it?"  Nonchalant Answer: "Maybe later today, maybe tomorrow."   

Really? Many thoughts rumbled through my head again, but what I think I said was, "So do I need to call every hour until it gets delivered!?" (in not such a kind voice...woefully so)

"Maybe you should call the 1-800 # and ask them to track it."

The first guy that helped me quickly stepped in and said, "I'm here till 11pm, I will watch for it and call you as soon as it arrives."  (This was a good response at this moment!)

I left with zero expectations that this would be resolved today.  But guess what!  They called.  UPS had come back with the delivery (and they answered the door).  I drove back.  As they saw me walking up to the counter they quickly grabbed the package and handed it to me.  I said, "I am so sorry that I was short earlier...it's just that my husband has cancer and I was in a panic."  Almost in unison 6 pharmacy employees all apologized too and said not to worry about it, they understood.

Good grief, I am humbled daily.  God had it covered, there is a divine reason Dave has been without these pills this last week, we may never even know why.  What it taught me though was that I am responsible for my behavior, I can choose to bless or to curse those around me.  While I did hold my tongue somewhat, I could have done a better job. 

We are doing a study at church, The Fruit of the Spirit by Beth Moore.  A quote from last week's lesson is: "We are spiritual when we are out of control and the Holy Spirit is in control."  Sadly, I was trying to take some control back.   And just to make it clear to me (that God is really in control anyway), there was a check in the mailbox when I got home from a dear friend.  Humbled once again.  (Thank you dear one, I hope the tears on the phone made it absolutely clear that you blessed us.)

So tomorrow is a new day, praise God.  I hope you will be a blessing to those around you (especially since I'll see some of you! hee hee).

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...