Monday, October 17, 2011

Dr. Klatt

O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Your praise.  Psalm 51:15

We met Dr. Klatt today...he is 68 years old.  He was doing his internship the year I was born.  I'm okay with this.  At least I was born after he was.  The last surgeon just got married and was quoting his medical books to give us his opinion.  Dr. Klatt spoke from years of experience.  It's just odd sitting face to face with a man that will be cutting your husband open and hoping to not make a mistake.  Okay, that last thought was mine completely, he did not say that!

This place of anticipation is undoing me though!  Wait, that is our job right now, wait.  Okay, I'm starting to come up with some thoughts of substance.  They have a date for surgery, but I'm not telling you (you have to wait now!).  Okay, they told us November 17.  I really wasn't going to tell you, but I know what it's like to wait.  They have to check if the hospital has that time open and if the team is all available that day. 

And Dave wants to wait until after Thanksgiving for a host of good reasons. I want it done tomorrow.  You know let's get this show on the road, get this party started, get this cancer out!  It's funny, I just realized the whole meaning behind the name of this blog, it is the road...I keep daydreaming about "tomorrow", the future, the cancer free future.  And all along, I'm missing today.  The worries and stress of the "now" are not fun, it's not where I want to be, but it is the road set before us.

Tomorrow Dave is calling Dr. Klatt's office to see if after Thanksgiving works for them.  So basically we still don't know anything.  I have to say, Dr. Klatt was encouraging.  He says it looks like they should be able to remove all the cancer, Dave will need a temporary ostomy (a loopostomy - never heard that word before - and I just looked up how to spell it and can't find it anywhere...Kirstin, did he just make that up?)

So we just wait.  We should know the date of surgery for sure tomorrow or the next day.  It will be in God's perfect time though, I'm sure of that.  Your will Lord, not mine.

6 comments:

  1. Nancy - praying for you! Leaking tears for you. Missed you at Bible study this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    From everything that you've written since August, I don't understand how you can think that you're missing anything of the "now". You blog, you work at the church, you take care of your children, you carve pumpkins, you make signs for Dave, you encourage others, you always have a smile. What parts are you "missing"??

    Seems to me that you're "getting it" just right. Prayers, trusting, crying, laughing, wanting it to be over. They ALL fit into the picture. The encouragement you give and receive are just impressive.

    When this is truly behind you, you'll look back and be amazed at what you've discovered. And just what and how much the Lord has grown in you and your family.

    Remember, there's more of "the road" behind you than is in front of you. Hang in there. Just keep holding HIS hand. And remember there are tons of prayer warriors lifting you all to the throne.

    Barbara R

    ReplyDelete
  3. janwells@comcast.netOctober 18, 2011 at 6:28 AM

    your friend barbara is spot on. five years from now this will all be seen so much clearer and you will see that you did indeed "get it" just right. the hand of God is all over this and all over you!Father God, please continue to show Yourself strong and mighty in David and Nancy. Carry them, Lord

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Barb, Nancy. I know that God is proud of the way you are walking through this season. He trusted you with it for a reason.
    I love you, Friend.

    As Kathy said, tears fall, at different times...for you, for Dave, for the kids.
    Know that I'm praying.
    Love you & your family so much.
    xoxo~M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh friend, hang in there. The waiting is so hard. Praying for you today. Yes loopistomy is a real word and in the world of ostomies, a good word. I sent you some links bit basically, a section of colon pulled out through an incision in the abdomen. (kind of like a loop of yarn pulled through with a crochet hook). The loop (hence the name loopostomy ) is cut so you end up with 2 ends of colon snuggled up next to each other that will drain together into one drainage bag. Good news is this is a temporary ostomy, easier to reconstruct than a traditional ostomy. Just so you know, I love ostomy supplies and find it very thrilling to get everything cut to size and in place just so. Yes another strange thing about your friend that you never thought would come in handy. You guys can totally rock this. Praying for the right decision for the surgery date, love you guys. Kirstin (after rereading this and realizing how strange I really am I was tempted to not sign my name :) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nancy, Look!@! I can type with my left hand. Not well, but making progress. Have you seen the movie, Couageous? That's you. I think you will see this thing through. God loves you and so do we. Mom and Dad. Dave is going to beat the cancer.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...