Sunday, March 1, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 10 (Broken Vessels)

At the beginning of this week I felt as if God was asking me to deal with something I've avoided for awhile.  Brokenness.  I wrote, "I will search for treasure in brokenness."  And that was my task this week.  To listen to God and hear why He allows difficulty into our lives...into mine.

Today I look back.  What did He show me?  

He showed me a lot of hurt.  However, He also showed me His faithfulness in that hurt. He showed me purpose in my pain.  He showed me His lavish love poured out into every part of my life.  He showed me His strengthening and His sweet comfort.

I asked for a verse to bring this week to a close.  Here it is:

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves."  2 Corinthians 4:7

I had no idea on Monday as I wrote that line...searching for treasure in brokenness, that I would find Christ in me!  We have this treasure...the power of Christ, in these earthen, broken vessels...in us.

These "earthen vessels" are very ordinary and common, they are weak and easily broken. They are not particularly beautiful and by no means extraordinary.  So we were chosen on purpose: the weak, the wounded, the blemished, the hurting, so Christ would be revealed, His power on display in us. Amazing.  Amazing Grace.

Not sure I can say it any better than this song: Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) by Hillsong.


...All these pieces, broken and scattered
In mercy gathered, mended and whole
Empty handed, but not forsaken
I've been set free, I've been set free

Oh I can see it now, Oh I can see the love in Your eyes
Laying Yourself down, raising up the broken to life

You take our failure, You take our weakness
You set your treasure in jars of clay
So, take this heart Lord, I'll be your vessel
The world to see, Your love in me


May your mourning, your trials, you burdens, bring God glory.
His power displayed in these broken vessels for the world to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...