Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 13 (What is the Cost?)

I am still wrestling with this idea of counting the cost.  The passage I've been reading and rereading is Luke 14:25-35.  This passage has to make sense with the rest of scripture, it is impossible for God's Word to contradict itself, so I've been searching other passages also.

Thinking about the word cost, I have come to the conclusion that in order for there to be a cost, it must be something valuable.  For example, it wouldn't "cost" me anything to give up tomatoes and mushrooms.  I could go the rest of my life happy to never see either one again.  Ask me to give up coffee and chocolate, well...that would be a whole other story.

So when we think of the kingdom of God, if He is asking us to count the cost, it seems to me that we are speaking of something of great worth.  Is it costly for me to follow Jesus? What am I giving up?  Anything tangible I have to give is temporary, what God values are things that will last for eternity, things that moths and rust cannot destroy.

Let's see if this illustration works to help this make sense.

I can barely even look at this picture!
Today I gave blood.  Now I seriously am a ridiculous wimp.  I cannot stand giving blood.  During the drive to the bloodmobile, I have to do the whole "self talk" routine.  You know it right?  This will be fine, this is not a big deal, take a deep breath, relax, it will be quick.  I seriously cannot even watch them put the needle in my arm.  In fact today, the nurse pulled out all the equipment and went for my arm.  I looked out that little trailer window into the parking lot forcing myself to relax.  And she began to poke me.  It was taking forever (and it hurt!) and then there was finally some relief. I turned to look quickly and realized she had just used that little plastic straw to mark my vein before she put on the iodine!

Anyway, in light of "counting the cost", it would seem the cost in me giving blood would be my discomfort (and slight terror of needles), my time out of my day, etc.  But those things aren't of any real value.  What if the cost is that person that would die without a blood transfusion.  Let's say I was the only one that could give blood to a specific person and I chose not to give.  The cost would be high if it meant death for that person. (thankfully this is not the case!)

Do you get my struggle?  If we want to be selfish and live our lives for ourselves, the cost is high in that lost opportunity to love another for the sake of Christ.  Do I consider those costs?

Thinking again about the movie last night - The Drop Box.  Had Pastor Lee not followed Christ, the cost would be the death of those abandoned babies.  If he had not followed Christ and cared for kids with disabilities and deformities, the message of their great value would not have reached the rest of the world through this movie.

In 1 Samuel 15:22 we read, "to obey is better than sacrifice".  So the slight sacrifices we make are nothing then in comparison to our obedience which has eternal value.

I am going to have to let this thought ruminate.  I have a completely different direction in this process for God tomorrow.  I am hoping He will somehow peel away the misunderstandings and leave only truth. And that this truth will set us free to live the life He has called us to live.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Sometimes the cost of not following Christ is higher than the cost of following Him.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...