Saturday, March 14, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 22 (Perseverance)

But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.  Luke 8:15

For my hour today, I was able to get away and go for a walk.  I debated where to go, the weather was not favorable of a leisurely walk, and I wanted to stay close.  I decided on Chambers Creek, because once you commit to it, you are stuck - no shortcuts.

Fortunately I had a rain coat and umbrella...both were needed.  I cleared my mind of the day's cares and asked God for some encouragement.  This is this week's focus after all.

I stopped by the water and watched two fly fisherman.  They had on their waders and were casting their lines.  The wind caught them most every time and pulled the lines quickly back toward shore and not out to their destination. 

The rain was really coming down now and I was almost to the hill filled with trees on the way up the trail.  I felt I should get going to get some cover from the wind and rain.  This is not a fun part of this path since it winds back and forth and back and forth and well, you get it. 

I was cold and tired and not particularly excited about this walk.  I hadn't really heard anything yet and I was wishing I had chosen a coffee shop to meet with God instead.

When I reached the top (finally), there was no one there.  Someone is always there.  It is a great look out over the water and golf course and has a nice long bench to rest.  

I kept walking, mostly because now I was about 1/2 way and I just wanted to reach the car.
I rounded the corner at the top to head down toward the car and noticed these golfers.  I thought it'd be fun to see how they did.  

This particular hole, they have to hit the ball over a field,  onto a small green with a grassy hill on one side and multiple sand traps on the other, not a lot of grace on this hole.  I watched the first guy and I lost the ball from sight almost immediately.  The next guy teed up and hit a bright yellow ball (thanks, that was much easier to see).  I watched it fly high and straight.  It landed on the green and stopped inches from the hole.  I almost yelled, it was actually exciting.

So why all these short stories.  About half way through my walk, I heard the word "persevere". Now, today I was supposed to hear something like God loves me, He gives good gifts, He is kind, something encouraging remember?.  Not perseverance.  

With almost every step that is all I heard. Then I remembered those fisherman in the rain, patiently casting their lines.  I remembered the hill I grudgingly climbed.  The golfers hitting their ball out of sand traps and finishing the course.  I gave in and asked God if he wanted me to learn perseverance.  He said yes.  What surprised me was that He showed me that it is a gift.

I am guessing those fisherman have caught something in the past, otherwise why would they continue to fish? There was a prize for faithfully waiting for a tug on their line.  When I reached the top of the hill, I was satisfied (and relieved) and I was able to enjoy the beautiful view.  The golfers. Well, that almost hole in one was pretty exciting.  

And from the verse above, through perseverance we bear fruit (since we abide in the Vine). There is good in perseverance.  Yes, I guess temporarily there may be pain or suffering to endure, but that is just for a moment right?

Talk about perseverance!
After all, "By perseverance the snail reached the ark." said Charles Spurgeon.  

I took this picture during our Moms in Prayer walk (the Middle School moms in prayer, not the Elementary one...) We did a few laps around the school.  We noticed this snail on the sidewalk. After we completed one loop around the school, this poor snail had barely made it a few inches.  But of course we know with perseverance, it will make it to its next meal.

So I learned today, that perseverance is good.  It bears fruit, it stays faithful, it has rewards, and it is worth it.  Just as different as those fishermen looked from the golfers, perseverance will look different for each of us.  We all have our own pace.  

I am also reminded from yesterday's lesson, perseverance leads to hope and hope does not disappoint. So persevere fellow journeyman. God promises it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...