Friday, February 27, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 9 (Bloopers)

Okay, maybe I don't have bloopers to share, but since I started this process with a "pilot" episode 9 days ago, I thought I'd give a behind the scenes type of post tonight.

Yesterday was a difficult post.  I reread it today and it looks so neat and tidy.  There is a beginning, middle, and end.  A scripture, a song, a message. It's all there.  But what no one can see was the entire day it took to get to the last sentence.

I don't want to look back at that post and forget all it took to get there.  So here is the look behind the post, at what it took to get to the finished product.

8:20am - I had an unexpected extra 40 minutes before Moms in Prayer.  I decided to go for a walk and try to fit in my hour with God (should of figured I couldn't pull one over on Him).

8:30am - Walked past the off leash dog park, noticed a little dog trying to catch up to his master, when he finally reached him, he was welcomed with a treat.  I thought what a perfect illustration as we reach our master, He gives us a little treat.  No, scratch that...not a good illustration :)
Not inspiring...

8:35am - Walked past the red barns and noticed something I'd never seen before...was this the illustration of the day? (Spoiler alert: No)

8:40am - Daniel had noticed the tunnel under Steilacoom Blvd the other day. I decided to walk there and snap a picture, maybe this would inspire me.  When I got there, I was greeted by litter, goose poop, and graffiti...okay, scratch that one too.

9:00am - Moms in Prayer

10:45am - Home to my "meeting place" in hopes of inspiration.  I sat quiet with the Lord for quite awhile, too many thoughts in my head, so I wrote them out on a yellow steno pad. Nothing stood out.

12:30pm - Work, pick up kids, band, dinner, basketball, laundry, homework, life...

9:00pm - Blank page.  Cursor flashing.  What was God saying to me today?

I had so many thoughts for this day...good ones too.  I finally relented and asked God one more time, what was He saying?  I knew it had to include the character of God from that morning.  God is able.  And I felt like God was saying to make it personal.  This had to be something for me...I'm pretty good at deflecting and guarding my heart...this was not the time for that.

I asked God for an example from scripture of Him being able. I really wanted to use the story of Abraham and Isaac.  It is such a beautiful picture of faith and Abraham's belief that God was able to bring his son back from the dead if necessary, in order to fulfill His promise.

However, the story was to be Daniel's three friends and the fiery furnace.  At the same time I was listening to worship songs, trying to find the one God wanted.  I had the perfect one, God is Able by Hillsong...perfect right?  I listened to it probably 20 times.  No, that wasn't it.  I went through another list of songs and nothing.

I continued to write, finally digging deeper to what was happening in my heart.  I admitted to God how I had been disappointed with His "No" answers to so many of my requests.  My former blog "Benched" would not leave my thoughts.

I typed, deleted, listened, prayed, read scriptures.  It honestly was exhausting.  And then I came across the song I posted, Healer by Planetshakers. There is a line that says, "You walk with me through fire..." and it was if the whole day was coming together.  "God, that is why the story of the fiery furnace" I almost said out loud.  The song continues with repeating lines of "Nothing is impossible for You and I trust in You".  And the tears fell.  He finally broke through and gave me my treasure of the day.  (You'll have to read the post here to find out what it was.)

So the lesson for today?  There is so much more going on than what we can see. (see 2 Kings 6:17) When someone reads my blog, they see the finished work. They don't see all that it took to get there. The Bible says that God has begun a good work in us, I'm glad I cannot see all that it is going to take to complete that work.  But He promises to finish His work in me...and nothing is impossible for Him!

Song: Finish What He Started by MercyMe



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...