Friday, March 13, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 20 (Sharpening)

It has been a long day and it is way past my bedtime.  However, I don't want to miss what God had for me today (okay, yesterday - it is 1am!)

My day was full of interactions with fellow believers, who happen to be also good friends.  We of course had Moms in Prayer today (God is Pure was the attribute).  We laughed out of sheer weariness of our weeks.  This laughter was good medicine.

I had coffee with a dear friend and had a great discussion on hope - side note, hadn't planned on bringing up what we talked about right now, but I really am trying to still figure this out.  I asked if I can say "I hope your mom gets better."   Because in Romans 5 we know that hope does not disappoint and yesterday I learned that basically true hope = Christ.  So can I throw around the word hope as if there is not deep meaning to it?  I hope it doesn't rain.  I hope we have a nice summer.  I hope your adoption goes through.  I hope your mom gets better. These all have the potential of disappointing.  So if we use hope in regards to things of this earth, does it diminish the true meaning, can it lead to hopelessness....I may be beating a dead horse here, but I truly desire to understand this.

Anyway, I stopped by work and was able to appreciate the amazing office staff we have.  They put others interests above their own, they are hard working, and they love to laugh. Just by being who God created them to be and by using their gifts for God's Kingdom, I am challenged and encouraged.

Before...
Then it was off to the Roadshow in Kent with more dear friends.  We saw several Christian artists, including Jamie Grace, David Crowder, Matt Maher, and MercyMe. We heard a new guy that we really liked, Jon Guerra.  Julia really wanted his CD, as we were walking out at the end of the show, she saw him standing by his table talking with his fans.

...After
I had her stand behind him for a quick photo op.  He turned around and laughed and immediately drew everyone in for group shot.  Great guy!

So how do these moments figure into my time with God today?  I still had been working through this idea of hope and asking God to reveal to me what I needed to learn.

However, He showed me something different.  God showed me that He has strategically placed people in my life to "sharpen" me - as the verse says above.  God uses other believers to help shape us.  The interactions I had today, encouraged me and made me think.

I love the two pictures above.  The first one, there is no interaction, not much good comes from admiring someone.  Your lives are completely independent and no good has come to either of you. The second picture represents relationship.  We truly need each other.

So tonight I say thank you for being a fellow sojourner and for sharpening me to be more like Christ. And thank you for the discussions on hope: in person and even on Facebook.  Thank you for unfolding scripture to me. You truly are a treasure!

1 comment:

  1. Loved being with you! I'm stealing your picture, if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...