Monday, March 23, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 29 (Jehovah Jireh)

I spent my hour in my favorite reading spot again.  It is finally spring and now it rains! One of these days I will jump in the puddles with God, but not today.

I sat down with my Bible and asked God what He had for today. Again, I felt as if He was asking me what was on my mind. I have quite a few friends going through some pretty big challenges right now. Another cancer diagnosis. A heart surgery. An uncertain future. Life can be overwhelming. As you get older it seems like the stakes get higher.

When you are little and you scrape your knee, a kiss from mom fixes everything. However, now as adults...the smurf band-aid doesn't quite take the pain away. So how can we receive comfort or hope or clarity?

Proverbs 18:10 came to mind, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous runs into it and is safe." It doesn't say, the Lord is a strong tower, but the name of the Lord is a strong tower.

So this week, I will explore the names of God. Names don't quite mean as much today as they did in biblical times. A name expressed the character of a person. Just by knowing someones name, you would know about who they were. God has many names, each one revealing more of His character.

As we find out more of His character, who God is...we will find refuge. When the storms of this life come, we can run to this Strong Tower and be safe.

The first name I wanted to explore was Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide.

God told Abraham to go to the land of Moriah and offer Isaac as a burnt offering. When Isaac asked where the offering was, his dad replied, "God will provide." (Genesis 22:8)

This is truly a remarkable story and God did indeed provide. As Abraham lifted the knife to slay his son, an angel of the Lord called to him - in the nick of time. Isaac's life was spared. Abraham was told not to do anything to his son.

Verse 13 says, "Then Abraham raised his eyes and looked, and behold behind him a ram...", here was the sacrifice. God provided. The verse goes on to say, "...Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the place of his son."

This verse is packed with significance. In light of the name of God, Jehovah Jireh, something caught my eye. (no pun intended...wait for it)

Did you notice Abraham "raised his eyes and looked" and that is when he saw God's provision? I looked back at Abraham's journey so far and found these two verses:

The Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, "now lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward; for all the land which you see, I will give it to you and to your descendants forever." Genesis 13:14

And when he lifted up his eyes and looked, behold, three men were standing opposite him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth... Genesis 18:2

These men (angels) brought the good news that by next year, Sarah would have a son. The son that Abraham had desired, the one God had promised.

Did you see it? All these times, when Abraham lifted his eyes, he saw God's provision. He lifted his eyes and saw the land promised to him and his descendants. Sitting at his tent, he lifted his eyes and welcomed messengers of God. And as he was still gazing in his son's eyes, the son he was about to sacrifice, he raised his eyes and saw God's provision of a ram.

God not only showed me today that He will provide. But that as I raise my eyes, I will see His provision. Where is your gaze? Are you looking at your circumstances? Are you looking at your struggles? Will you instead, look up and see the Lord.  He will provide.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the name of the Lord is Provider, you are safe.

Song: Christ is Risen (we can look up, because our God has risen!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...