Monday, February 23, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 5 (Treasure in Brokenness)


I've developed a fun hobby over the last few years, searching for beach glass. Any time we are on a rocky beach, it is always a treasure hunt to find the perfect piece of glass.  If the edges are sharp, we throw it back in the water since it is not quite "done yet". If the hard edges have become smooth and the color is just right, it is a keeper.
Kauai with Lily and Kaileia 2012

I have two favorite moments searching for beach glass.  One was on Kauai with my sister and niece and the other in California with Kirstin. Both of these beaches have an abundance of glass.  The beach in Hawaii was a garbage dump that started over 100 years ago.  Someones junk has literally become our prize.

And this introduces my time with God this coming week.

California with Kirstin 2013
For a few years God has been teaching me about brokenness.  Life has not been super easy.  There are broken pieces in my life, disappointments, unmet expectations, hurts, loss...the edges are sharp and unforgiving to this tender heart.  But just like the broken glass that gets discarded in the ocean, with a little tossing and churning, coarse sand, and time...something beautiful emerges.

I think God is asking me to spend some time with Him on this.  So, more like Washington beaches, where you have to really search for the valuable piece of milky beach glass...I will search for the treasure in brokenness.  I have to admit, I am doing this with caution.  I'm not sure I want to find all the answers.

I am resolved though since God confirmed this to me in multiple ways this morning.  In case I want to chicken out, here is a list of how He made the way clear for this part of the journey.

Within the first few hours of Day 5:

  • I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning.  I had an hour before the alarm was going to go off and I could hit snooze.  This rarely happens and when it does, my response every time is to go back to sleep, every time.  But God reminded me about our appointment and I got up.  
  • I read a devotional by Charles Spurgeon that was really encouraging toward this idea of brokenness and then on the way to work, the radio announcer quoted Charles Spurgeon!  
  • The quote, "Because He's the living God, He can hear.  Because He's a loving God, He will hear." Another confirmation that God wants to hear from me and wants to respond.
  •  And the final thing, the first message I opened this morning was a song sent to me by a dear friend with the line: "All who are broken, lift up your face..."  from Come As You Are by David Crowder (YouTube version)
So this week, I will lift up my face and seek His.  I'm pretty sure a treasure is waiting to be found.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this and 5:00am? It's great to be up early, I'm going to win you over :) love you friend, thanks for sharing your heart and speaking truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be worth it. What is breaking and broken will be replaced with joy you can't even imagine. You are a new creation. Who you will become is just unfolding. Keep sharing, you are blessing so many people (like me) on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...