Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 7 (Ashes and Oaks)

Today I was pondering brokenness in mourning.  There have been several deaths these last couple months in the lives of my friends and family.  The calendar is an annual reminder of an anniversary of the death of a loved one for many of us.  There is much to grieve.

I opened my Bible to Isaiah 61 and paused at verse 3:

"To grant those who mourn in Zion,
Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting.
So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

I have always wondered why this verse says God will give beauty for ashes (as it says in the KJV). I love as we dig into God's Word how we can find deeper meaning into the words displayed.

The Matthew Henry commentary says:
"Here is an elegant paronomasia (a kind of play on words) in the original.  He will give them pheer - beauty for epher - ashes.  He will turn their sorrow into joy as quickly and as easily as you can transpose a letter: for He speaks and it is done."

I wanted more time to ponder this so I asked God for a meeting place. I've been exploring this idea of a "meeting place" with God for the past several months. It could be a favorite chair at home.  At times I imagine being in one of the Bible Stories. And sometimes I go somewhere. So when I asked God for a meeting place, we ended up at the cemetery. (appropriate right?)

New Tacoma Cemetery
It was very fitting as I drove into the cemetery to contemplate mourning that the gray clouds and mist were there to greet me. (It was all sun and blue skies yesterday)

This picture is taken near my mom's grave. I don't take it for granted that in this spacious burial place, this is the only spot with water and paths. No kidding.  The two things that speak to me most clearly, and they greet me every time I come here.

Anyway, I took a walk through the streets of this hallowed ground.  It was an unusual feeling to experience peace in the midst of a place associated with great mourning.  As I looked around I noticed the many oak trees. Wait, the end of the above verse mentions oak trees...

So I have ashes and oak trees.  What is the Lord saying through these two things? Covering oneself in ashes is an outward expression of an inner sorrow.  Oak trees are a outward example of inner strength. One is death, the other life.  The first rests on this earth, the second stretches toward heaven. As I think of that cemetery, the place of mourning I can't help but think of the contrast of the ashes below the headstones and the oaks above the dirt.  Mourning lasts for a moment but His joy endures forever.

And it is starting to make sense.  God gives us beauty, gladness, and praise in place of ashes, mourning, and a spirit of fainting. As we walk through our brokenness, God does His work in us...giving beauty for ashes, and we are strengthened. You know why?  So that we will be called oaks of righteousness. The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified!

And there is today's treasure.  This process of trading hurt for healing, sorrow for joy...is strengthening us.  And this is not for us, it is that the Lord may be glorified!  Beauty will come from these ashes.  We can trust that nothing is wasted, not our brokenness and not our mourning.

Song: Nothing is Wasted, Jason Gray


2 comments:

  1. Because nothing is wasted in the hands of our redeemer
    One day I will be one of his oaks of righteousness,
    The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.

    Thank you, Jesus that You give us beauty for ashes.
    Thank you, Jesus, that You give Nancy words to share
    to help her brothers and sisters to draw closer to You.

    Thank you, Nancy, for sharing these truths - darkness, mourning.
    Waiting to see what's revealed tomorrow.
    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another heartfelt one. ❤ Made a lot of sense! Great song and lyrics too (I have always been amazed at how God always gives you such great songs.) "It's from the deepest wounds that beauty finds a place to bloom"

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...