Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 1 (Abide)

John 15:9  Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.

Wednesdays are my day "off".  I figured I should schedule my hour with God early in the day to make sure it happened.  I wanted to be outside and figured a walk would be a good way to be quiet and listen for His voice.  I had the perfect place.  Chambers Bay.  It has the Puget Sound on one side and trails and paths all the way around.  Surely God would speak to me in this place.   I began my walk and did all my "tricks" to quiet my mind.  Why is that so hard?  I asked God to remove all distractions and random thoughts and to allow me to hear His voice.

It was quiet for a long time, I focused on the sounds around me.  I decided to take a few pictures of anything that caught my eye.  A pothole.  The trail.  A sign.  I noticed a bench facing the water, I took a picture and then heard my first message.  Sit with me.  I reminded God that I only had an hour and I didn't have that much time. Alas, I consented and sat.  I listened.  The only thing that came to mind was Abide.  Just stay awhile, and that is what I did.  I just sat silently.  You know you are really comfortable with someone when you can just sit and be quiet together.

After awhile I sensed it was time to move on, I headed up the winding, steep hill.  I still wasn't sure what God had for me today so I kept listening.  At the top of this hill is an incredible view.  The islands, the water, the mountains, they are all breathtaking.  But all I was drawn to was the golf course below.  Really?  With all the things I love right in front of me, God spoke to me through a man made sports field.  (Yes, I am shaking  my head). 


A few things stood out, the most noticeable was that the landscape was very diverse. There are so many parallels to real life:  water hazards, grounds under repair, the rough, sand traps. There are spots that are smooth and rugged, flat and hilly, dangerous and safe.  This course took careful planning.  They just didn't sprinkle down grass seed and hope for the best.  There was measuring, planning, designing, shaping.


And this is my life, a long walk with ups and downs, hazards and greens, long stretches and beautiful views.  It has been carefully planned by the Master Designer.  I can trust Him.  My job is to abide, remain, stay the course.

I'll end with this quote, it really says it best:

Abiding in Christ is just meant for the weak, and so beautifully suited to their feebleness. It is not the doing of some great thing and does not demand that we first lead a holy and devoted life. No, it is simply weakness entrusting itself to a Mighty One to be kept—the unfaithful one casting self on One who is altogether trustworthy and true. Abiding in Him is not a work that we have to do as the condition for enjoying His salvation, but a consenting to let Him do all for us, and in us, and through us. It is a work He does for us: the fruit and the power of His redeeming love. Our part is simply to yield, to trust, and to wait for what He has engaged to perform.
~ Andrew Murray, Andrew Murray on Prayer

4 comments:

  1. Read it twice and love it. Such truth, thanks for sharing your heart. Much love my friend, keep writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirstin, I know how much you love Puget Sound and how God speaks to you so personally through this view. Do you know how blessed you are!!! :)

      Delete
  2. The only argument that you'll get from me is when you say that the quote that you provided says it best. It's a great quote, but I especially liked what YOU said re: the planning of the golf course as it relates to our lives. Including that photo was a terrific way to bring that point home to all of us. :)~Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find it difficult to "be still" and just be in the presence of God. But I think He likes it!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...