Monday, April 30, 2012

Mrs. Turpin

Today one of my heroes entered into her final rest, her full healing, her eternal home...Mrs. Darlene Turpin passed early this morning.  Peacefully, her daughter shared.  She is home. 

I can't really remember the first time I met her.  I just remember volunteering in the nursery before we had children, there were two women that showed up every week, every week, (like year round) to teach the preschool class that met below the nursery.  When Julia was born I secretly hoped Mrs. Turpin and Mrs. Ricketts would not retire before my children made it through their classes.  I think I breathed a sigh of relief when Daniel reached preschool and they were still there.  At that point they had decades of serving children under their belts.  They made teaching God's Word and loving children look effortless. 

I found out their secret once I became the Early Childhood Director a few years ago.  They were faithful.  Faithful to God, faithful to pray, faithful to God's Word, faithful to their families, faithful to their commitment to humbly serve.  These women would hand write each child's name and pray for them every week, every week (like year round).  Neither have had "easy" lives, they've had their share of sorrows and trials, crosses to bear.  Yet they were faithful.  I was humbled in their presence.

Recently Darlene and her husband were moved to an adult care facility as she was diagnosed with lymphoma of the brain.  I went to see her a couple of weeks ago and asked if she was still able to read her Bible (the one she brought every week to Sunday School).  She said it was difficult.  I asked if I could read to her, she said yes.  I asked if she would like a specific scripture and she said Psalm 103.  I replied that I had read that same one that morning!  She offered for me to find a different one if I'd like (always thinking of others).  I treasured each verse as I went ahead and read Psalm 103. 

I just reread it and realized it was her Psalm as she entered heaven...

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle." (vs. 3-5)

Pardoned.  Healed.  Redeemed.  Crowned.  Satisfied.  Bless the LORD O my soul.

I will cherish these last few weeks and each time I was able to pray with Darlene.  The moment I said "Amen" she would begin her prayer for me.  Each prayer was infused with scripture that she had hidden in her heart for many years.  The last time I was there, she prayed that Jesus would be the boss of her life and the boss of her family and that she would do nothing to quench the Holy Spirit.  I was humbled again.

Pardoned.  Healed.  Redeemed. Crowned.  Satisfied.  Bless the LORD O my soul, thank you Lord for this dear woman's eternal impact, in my life and the lives of countless others.  Well done dear one.  I will miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written tribute to a faithful servant. Brought tears to my eyes and conviction to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute to a humble saint. So sweet. So challenging. So thankful she is reaping her rewards now..... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote a beautiful letter about Darlene. I wonder if she was related to Marguerite Turpin. She was one of Mammie's friends and also my friend. She was a long time choir member at St. Mary's and lived on American Lake near the park.

    She was an avid bridge player. Mammie and I were playing bridge at her house when my labor started with Janet. They all started checking the time on their watches, and knew when to send us out. Her son, Jack, was a member of St. JJ's. I think she had a daughter, too.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...