Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kauai!

This is a long post, but I don't want to forget a thing about our trip, you can skip all the words and just enjoy the pictures if you'd like!
 Here is our tour guide!  I am so grateful Kai has a car so she could chauffeur us around the island, she did a great job.

That funny picture on the right are my feet being rushed with water from the beautiful and warm Pacific Ocean!  The sand is a warm brown and softer than any I've felt before.


Monday, April 16, 2012


  • Leave Sea-Tac 9:30am, thanks Kirstin for the ride and the Starbucks to get us going!
  • Arrive Lihue Airport 12:45pm, greeted by Kai with beautiful leis.
  • Kai drops us off at Uncle Richmond's condo, our home for the week.
  • Uncle Richmond takes us on a tour of his old stomping grounds, we hear stories of Pearl Harbor, cruise boats coming into the harbor, his wife Pat, his class ring (at the bottom of the ocean...), his kids and grand kids and the good ol' days.
  • Uncle takes us to Kalapaki Beach so we can wade in the water, he buys us drinks and fresh fruit while we sit and soak it all in. 
  • Back at the condo Kai comes by for my first surprise!  Smith Family Garden Luau.  Amazing gardens, some of my favorites: Monkey Tail Tree, Plumeria, Bougainbillea, Banyon Trees and Albizia Trees.  (The Easter Island Statue was fun too)
  • Dinner at the Luau was amazing and we even ate poi (aren't you proud of us dad?).
  • We watched beautiful dancers under the starry night...and almost as if it was timed as part of the show we all saw a brilliant shooting star.


Tuesday, April 17. 2012
We woke up early for another day of surprises, "wear your swimsuit" was all I was told.   
  • Drove to Kukui ula Harbor and went out on Sea Rider Adventure Tours to snorkel off the south shore with Captain Tara.
  • Took a zodiac out to two sites, first one we saw turtles!  Actually, we swam with them, completely amazing.
  • Drove up to a look out to see Spouting Horn up a little closer.
  • Papalani Gelato for Mahaulepu Mint and Lilikoi/Mango Gelato - best ever!
  • Poipu Beach to relax a bit, have I said yet there are chickens everywhere on this island even on the beach!
  • Took a beautiful drive through rows and rows of coffee bean trees (is that what they are called?) to Kauai Coffee Company
  • A quick stop to Glass Beach to find a few treasures, snapped a shot of a heart shaped rock on the glass (actually it is glass, but it is also remnants of the garbage that was dumped too close to the coastline that is now falling into the Pacific)
  • A stroll across the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge with Kaileia
  • The most amazing Shave Ice on the planet from Jo Jo's Shave Ice (good thing Lily researched all this since I would never have walked into that place.  The sign was held together with duct tape!)
  • Ended the day at Waimea Plantation to see the largest Banyan Tree on the Island (and my favorite!), dinner at the Grove (wow Kalua Pork Spring Rolls - super yum) and a walk on the beach at sunset...the perfect end to a perfect day.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Today we slept in until about 7am...the latest of all 3 days.  First surprise, Starbucks!  But the biggest surprise of all was what was next.  I was told to keep my eyes closed on the drive there and even when I was let out of the car...
  • I opened my eyes to read a sign that said "Wings Over Kauai" as I stood in a little open airport...I cried!


Let me just say, that was an amazing experience, the pilot was excellent and we saw things I never would have otherwise.
  •  Pono Market for Spicy Shrimp Sushi and Pork and Chicken Lau Lau
  • A quick stop at Snorkel Bobs to get snorkel gear for ??? : )
  • Queen's Bath at Princeville was a little hard to find but one of my favorite stops, maybe because we had to walk a beautiful path to reach the ocean only to find an amazing cove with crashing waves and dozens of turtles!
  • Ching Young Village for Haupia
  • Tunnels Beach for snorkeling ~ this was a completely different experience from snorkeling the day before.  We saw fish of every size and color,  we even saw a Hawaiian Monk Seal sunning himself on the beach.  Kai's favorite part though was surprising Lily and me as she swam from behind and underneath us blowing bubbles towards are faces!
  • Hanelei Bay for the Sunset.
  • Kilauea Fish Market for the best Fish Taco ever ~ covered with garlic cilantro sauce, mmmmm.
  • Ended the evening at the Barefoot Bar at Duke's for Hula Pie (w/ macadamia nut ice cream)
Thursday, April 19,  2012

How can it be the last day already?  I fully expected to get up, pack and go to the airport, we had to be there by 9:30am, but no...there were more surprises.
  • Up at 5:30 am to see the sunrise at Lydgate State Park.  I have never sat and watched as the sun greeted the morning.  It is a beautiful and amazing sight (especially in Kauai).  The light changed from white, to orange to purple, to a swirl of amazing colors, until it was in full form welcoming the day.
  • Passion Bakery for a pastry that is a cross between a croissant and a scone, green apple was the flavor I picked.
  • And there was time for one more surprise.  Wailua Falls!  I saw it yesterday from a plane and today we drove right to it.  What power and grace.
There is so much more that I want to share, but feel like I've used my allotted words already.  The people are wonderful, the atmosphere is relaxed, "Don't Worry Be Happy" must have been penned here.  More than all of that though, God displayed His majesty over and over again, from the crashing waves, to the majestic mountains, to the graceful turtles, and the lush foliage...I was speechless much of the time.  Actually, I kept saying "Wow" (so much so I thought for sure Kai and Lily would beg me to find another word).  The generosity of my sister was overwhelming.  And the time she spent searching the internet to find the perfect stops was well worth it (for me at least!)

I came home relaxed, refreshed, renewed and with a better attitude.  I am humbled and grateful.

Wow.



    1 comment:

    1. I am so happy you had an amazing time. It makes me want to go back there so bad! Many of the places you mentioned I went to when I was there over 10 years ago. Brings back great memories. God is great and He blessed his faithful servant with a trip full of awesome memories and bountiful blessings. I love you tons, my friend!

      ReplyDelete

    More Questions Than Answers

    On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...