Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How We Spent Our Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day...what emotions this day evokes!  I've seen all of them on facebook, from loving this most romantic day of the year to this is the worst day of the year and everything in between!  Dave had a scheduled chemo day today.  Of course I had to go with him, it's Valentine's Day!  I can't let my Valentine sit alone (with 14 other patients and families).  I brought stickers to decorate his IV so we could be festive (yes, that is festive for me!).

Chemo days aren't all that bad, I'm getting used to them (I'm a veteran, after all this is our second treatment).  There isn't additional pain during treatment, it just takes time.  I joke with him it's like a date, but I'm a little serious since we get to talk face to face!  Today's side effects weren't felt until he walked outside.  His hands instantly began to tingle.  This probably will last about 5 days and then go away.  (Of course our doctor told us today that at day 5 he could experience about 4 days of pain around his stoma - or his guts as we like to call them - then get a  couple day break before chemo starts again)

As I was driving home I started to think about spending Valentine's day at the hospital with my husband receiving chemo.  How strange.  Then I began to think about all that it took for him to be able to sit in that ugly green chair and receive his treatments.  (Bear with me, this is how my mind works).  I began to wonder about the researchers that developed this drug and wondered what their lives were like.  Did they work crazy hours, did they get disappointed after failed attempts, did they have loved ones with cancer?  Then I thought of the cost to do research and experiments and supplies, did some one's study get cancelled for lack of funds?  For a moment I just wanted a glance at all the work it took for my husband to receive a drug that will hopefully save his life.

It made me think of Elisha and his servant (2 Kings 6) when Elisha prayed that his servant could see that those that were with them were more than those that were with the enemy.  His eyes were opened to see the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire.  I wanted a glimpse of all it took for us to be in this spot so my heart would swell with gratitude.  While I did not get the visual image, God filled my heart with gratitude anyway.  I became grateful for the unseen sacrifices.

In the same passage Elisha tells his servant, "Do not be afraid".  I giggle a little, because seriously?!  They are surrounded by bad guys that came in the night to seize them.  Do not be afraid?  Absolutely.  Though circumstances may (or may not) get worse, we do not need to fear.  Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.  Our God is greater than cancer and chemo treatments and side effects.  He is greater than the fears that I let enter my heart. 

And that's the point of Valentine's Day for me.  God loved us and sent His son, the ultimate sacrifice.  So whether you love, hate or are indifferent about today, it does not change that fact that you are the Lord's beloved.  And that is something to celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. LOVED your last paragraph. So very, very true. And what an incredible visual - Elisha and his servant.

    If nothing more comes out of this "road" for you,Nancy, know that you have been incredibly blessed with insight and the skill in verbally painting a picture for all of us.

    Just one word: WOW!!

    Blessings my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this -- the Truth in your words. I've felt the way you explain so beautifully in other circumstances. Brought back a flood of memories - made me cry - not a bad cry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nancy, I loved your Valentine message.Our lesson and sermon were on Elisha and Eliza. I think we missed something (different versew), so I will "check it out."

    It was fun reading your account of the party. I'm glad Dave could go with you. Have you read enough about cancer? If not, Dad has a brochure (really thorough)about cancer.It is put out by a pharmaceuticle company, but is very helpful,told me about my DeVincy robot. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...