Saturday, February 18, 2012

Friday Night at the Cactus Gulch

So Dave mustered (or is it mustard?) up all kinds of courage to get all gussied up and go to a Murder Mystery Baby Shower set during the 1800's in the Wild West.  (If you know the Johnson's you know this make perfect sense). 

I haven't done an update since we left chemo on Tuesday, it hit Dave a little harder this time.  Headache, nausea and vomiting were present this time.  Thanks to some good drugs we had a quick remedy to the vomiting.  The pain is steady and ever-present now, sometimes subtle and sometimes quite obvious to the passer-byer.  But dog gonnit, we were going to a party tonight!

Our friends had their 6th baby and how else would you celebrate than with a Murder Mystery Party?  Full costume and props were encouraged.  My name was Barb Dwyer, a widow who has survived four husbands and three children.  Dave was Doc Turit and handed out anti-depressants that looked a lot like tic tacs.  Marv Ellis, was murdered and we had to figure it out.  We stayed in character most of the night, it was actually really hard!


You have to admire Dave's tie, I made it from a shoe string and Julia's belt buckle!  (Hoaky, I know, but you work with what ya got!)  Of course for my costume I had a dear friend sew two skirts together, nicely done Judy Olson!  She had the brilliant idea of adding the red ribbon at the seam where the two skirts met.  I should have taken a close up because she did a great job and everyone complimented it! 

One of my favorite characters was Anita Mann, you were hysterical!  Especially since your man ended up being a woman.  Who knew.  It was so great to have a "non-cancer" night, though Dave couldn't eat anything.  (Even though the fabulous hostess offered to make a special meal - thank you Shari)  We had four kinds of chili, salads and fresh veggies.  We had fun and acted silly and Dave made it through the whole party! 

Here's to Pella Johnson, thank you for giving us another reason to celebrate.  You are one blessed girl with crazy, fun and godly parents and a host of friends that are already crazy about you.  And thank you Schocks for throwing one incredible party!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for coming! Dave was amazing even though he wasn't feeling so hot. You both were a great addition to the fun! I'm sure Pella will remember it forever!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...