Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chemo and A Hair Cut

I really can't take the credit for the great title to this post, my friend Debbie came up with it : )

Those two events (chemo and haircut) probably do go together often, however it was Dave that had the chemo and Julia got the hair cut!  I should back up.  On Tuesday the port was "installed" without any problems, it was a simple procedure and Dr. Klatt did a fantastic job.  We got there about 8:30am and were out by 2pm.  No super powers yet, but his port is called a Power Port, so we'll see.

Today we went in at 10am to begin chemo, they left his port "accessed" after surgery, meaning there are long tubes hanging out of Dave's chest.  It was really an uneventful appointment (which is a good thing in this case).  They gave him some hydration, then some steriods, then the chemo.  It took about 3 hours.  The nurse hooked up a pump with a bag of chemo, stuck it in a fanny pack and sent us home.  Dave will have this "drip" for 48 hours, go back and have it taken off (plus the tubes so nothing will be sticking out of his chest for 10 days).  So about every 2 minutes we hear a "zzzzizzz" and that is 3cc's of chemo being pumped into Dave's veins.  He still isn't feeling well from the surgery in December and now it's just no fun receiving chemo.  But as my friend Moni said, the days are getting longer, the sun is shining more often and soon the flowers will be pushing up through the soil.  We are ready for spring (literally and figuratively).  We are ready to move on to the next season of our lives, yet to everything there is a season and we are in the season of recovery and healing, we were told today that Dave will not feel quite himself for a year after chemo ends.

So we wait.  But waiting is not a lack of activity I've learned.  We can be active in our waiting.  So we decided to get bangs.  Well, Julia got  bangs.  I freaked out twice.  First because I had the same haircut when I was her age (she is way cuter though) and it felt like I had gone back in time and was looking in a mirror.  Freaky.  And second because I think she looks two years older than she is.  I tried to send her back in and have Krista make her look younger...but alas, it wasn't going to happen.

So here are the two pictures of the day, chemo and a haircut.  Notice how Dave's chair matches the wall, and the curtains, and the cove base and everything else in the room?!




And notice how beautiful our daughter is, and did you know she is even more beautiful inside?



The nurse also told us today that the chemo has a cumulative effect.  It stays with you a long time, so toward the end of treatment Dave will be experiencing increased fatigue, or nausea or whatever his symptoms may be.  We are praying he weathers this little storm well.  I know he can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...