Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dr. Klatt

I realized I forgot to share about our last doctor's appointment!  (Thanks Kirstin for calling and asking and putting up with my distracting questions.) 

We met with the surgeon on Thursday.  It was a quick appointment, no "big" news.  Everything seems to be  healing fine and he says Dave is doing well.  He did ask for his nurse to make an appointment for Dave to go in for a test.  I can't remember what it is called, but they are shooting liquid into his colon to see if there are any leaks.  There must be some fun name for that.  Anyway, because of the radiation that damaged his colon, there is a risk that there may be leaks in  his colon.  If this test comes back  showing everything is fine, then his colostomy bag can come off sometime in February.  If there are leaks, we have to wait.

The other factor in this process is that with most chemo therapies, you cannot have a colostomy bag at the same time.  We will have to wait to meet with Dr. Senacal (oncology) next week to figure out the timing between chemo and returning Dave's guts back to his stomach.  Dr. Klatt said Dave will be in the hospital 3-4 days (he may have said it "should" be 3-4 days...I will make no predictions this time!) to put Innard Skynard back inside.  Dr. Klatt did say Dave should really take it easy for another 2 months. (?!?) 

So basically, things are progressing now as they should and next week's appointment will reveal more of the story.  Dave has some good moments in between pain and frustration, his diet is still very restricted and eating is not fun.  However, we continue to trust in God and His will for us and continue learning to daily depend on Him. God is good and we praise Him.

1 comment:

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...