Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chemo Teach

Today we went back for another Chemo Teach.  Last time we went was Wednesday, August 31.  How do I remember you ask?  I  looked back on my blog!  And yes, it was a repeat performance from our "teacher".  (who said, "I don't know why they call it a teach, we just tell you information?")

As she approached us, Dave and I just looked at each other with knowing smiles...this will be interesting.  She offered to find paperwork about the chemo, but when she came back, she said she couldn't find any paper work, but found presents!  One of the side effects of one of these drugs is sensitivity to cold.  For example, she explained, when you reach in the fridge to get something cold, it may really bother your hands.  So she gave Dave some socks and said they were from the drug company.  (I'm guessing they are for his feet...).  Then she handed him another package and said it was a blanket, like if we go on a plane...or maybe it is a scarf, she wasn't sure.

This was followed with a 5 minute conversation about Dave's band aid on his finger.  She was enthralled with the multicolor bright band aid and asked where he got it.  From work.  "They have those there?"  Yes, apparently they do.

Now down to business.  One of the first things that will happen is that Dave will get his blood drawn.  They would like an initial blood test taken so they have a base line of his normal counts.  She said we could go to the lab today, or another day...then she said, "I could draw your blood, I see veins!"  Um, no thank you, we'll do it later.

Now on to the risks.  Dave will be at risk for infection during chemo.  Did you know people die from infection, not chemo?  That is what she said, quickly followed by "I shouldn't have said that, you'll be fine." (probably in response to my wide eyed bewildered look)

This was followed by some more conversations about Lysol Wipes at the grocery store (don't be embarrassed to use those!) and a lesson on the flavors of Gatorade (they have red AND purple!)   We did  hear about mouth sores, nausea, diarrhea and possible neuropathy, that just wasn't as fun as the rest of the conversation.

Really, this gal is super sweet, she is very relaxed and I'm sure our stress level decreases when she is around (unless she offers to take blood).  She seems to know her stuff and we are actually thankful for her.  Dave is still dreading chemo and the time and toll it promises to take.  But he is doing it because he loves me and our children and desires to be around for us for a long time to come.

The port goes in Tuesday and Chemo should start a few days later.  We really don't know what to expect (except for a handmade quilt - masculine of course - our nurse said we get one, but not till we come back, I'm actually excited about that!).

So here we go again on this crazy adventure, I can't decide if this is like going up the roller coaster or down the other side (anticipation or stomach in your throat screaming like a banshee). 

Just for fun, here are some of our snow day pictures...this was a day we had power and played outside (funny the 3 days without power, we stayed inside?).
Notice the tree above Julia's head?  Yup, that is the one that is now in the lake.

This is at the bottom of the hill, he was actually on the sled all the way down : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...