Thursday, April 2, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 37 (Anxiety)


The story of Mary and Martha used to really bother me. I always identified with Martha. In Luke 10 Martha welcomes Jesus and his disciples into her house. She quickly goes to the kitchen to prepare food for her many guests. Her sister Mary however, stays with Jesus in the other room. She was seated at His feet listening to His Word. Martha of course is totally frustrated with her sister. All of these people are in their home and Mary sits down?

Yesterday, I couldn't seem to focus on any one thing. I had been gone for three days and my to do list was rather long. I dashed about trying to accomplish a little of everything. A little house cleaning, a little grocery shopping, a little work, a little serving, a little playing. I could feel my heart becoming anxious. The day ended at 11pm and I had not had my hour with God yet. I almost gave in to the temptation to skip it, until I realized I did in fact have a whole hour before the day was over. I knew I needed to hear from the Lord, especially with the condition of my heart.

I asked God to show me what was going on in my heart today, what had I missed? The word anxious just settled in and I realized I had let anxiety rule my day, not the Lord. I had so many tasks today that I had let my mind focus (or try to focus) on those things.

The story of Mary and Martha quickly came to mind so I read that story once again. I could once again identify with Martha as I wanted to complain to God, "Lord, do You not care?" He was gentle in His reminder to me, "Nancy, Nancy, you are worried and bothered about so many things." I just wanted to say, "Um, yes, there are many things to be worried and bothered about!"

The point of this story though is not that Martha was wrong to be cooking. Later on in fact right before Jesus enters Jerusalem on the donkey, Martha is cooking dinner for Jesus while Mary anoints Jesus' feet. There is no complaining or rebuking.

What God reminded me was that Martha was "worried (anxious) and bothered by many things". Her attention was on herself, on her to do list, on what Mary wasn't doing. I am sure her thoughts were many as her mind raced.

Do your thoughts ever get the better of you? You've created a whole scenario in your head, mostly none of which is accurate? I can feel the anxiety rising in Martha as she becomes blinded to what was the good part of her day.

One reason this story bothered me was because I thought the message was serving and working hard are not important. And that should have bothered me because that is not true! The message is that Martha was worried and bothered. She had a choice. On that day, when Jesus was in her home, the better part would have been to sit at His feet.

Today I pushed aside the "good part" of my day. The many things that have been troubling me and my long to do list were like an eye chart I was straining to see. I lost focus on the one thing that was truly important, my hour with God. Now, I don't do this year round. This is a 40 day journey, I am asking God to speak to me as I commit to listening to Him for a focused hour each day these 40 days.

After these 40 days are over, my "one thing" that is necessary will change. What is your one thing that brings you into the Lord's presence, that is necessary today? If you are anxious and bothered, start with Jesus and listen to His Word. You may have a very busy day, and that is okay, as long as Jesus is your focus and your first love.

We are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it; the process is not yet finished, but it is going on, this is not the end but it is the road. Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...