Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 36 (the sparrow)

This was our last morning in Bellingham. I was able to sneak my hour with God in first thing. I grabbed my Bible, my blanket, and my coffee. I sat down and waited to hear from God.

After yesterday's post, I was ready for some encouragement today.

I sat waiting alone in front of these large windows in the front of the A frame cabin, with a view of the beach. On either side of the windows are two towering trees. It was almost like God's creation was the feature film of the day.

Loud seagulls, majestic eagles, and a freeway for blue herons was my entertainment for the morning. I was so enjoying the moment and my heart was filled with gratitude. My introvert personality was thriving in this moment. How did God know this is exactly what I needed? I find great refreshment in getting away from the "every dayness" and enjoying a different view on life.
This is the top of one of the two towering trees!

Sunday I was given a gift by a friend. She placed it in my hand as I was scurrying to check on a classroom. I looked down at the gift and then up to her. "Is this from you?" No. She was just the messenger. Since I was working, I dropped it off in my office, it would have to wait. After church I remembered it sitting in my drawer. I went up and opened it. How did God know?

I have no idea who gave it, but it was exactly what I needed. Jehovah Jireh, my Provider knew exactly what I needed and He supplied it. Generously. Just like the needed break I was enjoying this morning.

As I watched these large birds flying above the water, I was reminded of Matthew 10:29, "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father."

If God can keep His eye on a sparrow (it is not easy!), how much more would He keep His eye on us. And if He sees (El Roi), how much more would He want to care for us. For our every need. And even for our every "not" need.

On the way to Bellingham we were able to take the Express Lanes through downtown Seattle. The kids noticed several homeless people living in the bushes on either side of the freeway. I loved that they were not judgmental, just curious. I often wonder about the lives of those living on the street. How does God show His great love for them?

I thought about the contrast between these ones living literally with nothing but the shirts on their backs and the lifestyles of Seattle icons Bill Gates and Howard Schultz. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be such a chasm between these people that God has created. It made me think of the grand difference between the eagle and the small unnoticed bird.

The similarity is that God loves each one. The grand, the overlooked, the upright, the downtrodden, the rich, the poor, the healthy, and the sick. His eye is on each of us. Psalms 17:8 says,

"Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Thy wings..."

We our precious to and protected by the Lord. No matter our circumstances. No matter our home. This will remain a mystery to me, His overwhelming goodness to each one of His children.

Today my heart is full. Jesus loves me this I know. He has shown me in small and big ways. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...