Sunday, April 5, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 40 (Saturday)

Yesterday was my last day of this journey. It was a full day with little rest. I was able to sneak my hour in before midnight. It was definitely bitter sweet. I know I cannot keep this pace, many things had to be given up for these last 40 days. But I believe these may have been the most meaningful 40 days I have experienced.

I think I will blog next week about the lessons learned along they way. Today, I need to reflect on what God said to me on Day 40.

I couldn't separate that Day 40 ended on the Saturday between Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. What do I do with Day 40? And what do you do with the Saturday after Jesus was crucified? Just days before, the crowds were singing "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!"

There was great anticipation and joy. There was great hope and singing. Salvation from the oppressive Roman government was finally here. Freedom was within reach. However, the end of the week brought something different. "Crucify Him!" the crowds now shouted. And that is what happened. Instead of getting their own way, instead of temporary happiness, the crowds were left with their hope dead on a cross.

Then Saturday came. The crowds had thinned. Jesus' body lay dead in the tomb. What do you do with this Saturday? If you were there, you did not know true freedom was a day away. You did not know hope was about to be born. You felt abandoned. You felt empty.

Today, we do know the end of the story. Today, we have freedom and hope in Christ. This is the good news of the Bible. All of the Old Testament, now fulfilled in Christ.

These 40 days have been dedicated to hearing God's voice, and He has been faithful, generous in fact. He has loved me the same every day. The days I had doubts, the days I had questions, the days I was almost too tired to hear His voice.

On this last day, He assured me that if I ever face a "Saturday", like the one 2000 years ago, if I don't hear His voice, when I can't see His face, when it seems hope is lost, when I feel abandoned. He will still be loving me. Death could not keep Him from me. I am never bad enough or good enough that He would forsake me.

The great news is there was a day after "Saturday". There was Resurrection Sunday. And for those that believe, when we place our hope in Him, we are made alive forever. No turning back. We have a constant companion. We are not ruled by our sin, we are not under the curse. We are free. We are in a forever relationship with our Father in heaven. I am by Beloveds and He is mine. His banner over me is love. Jesus, He loves me. He is for me. These things I know.

When I called to Him, He answered me and He told me great and mighty things which I did not know. Even on a Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your 40 day journey... for sharing your hours with Jesus, your research, your insights... your heart. I have read several of them more than once, as God used your words to get me off of my duff and into His Word. :)
    You truly are an inspiration. I love you dear friend and I love that God brought you and your family into my life.
    Shalom sister :)

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...