Friday, April 3, 2015

The 40 Day Journey - Day 38 (Show Up)

When I began this Journey over 5 weeks ago I really had no idea where God would lead. I really did think I would spend more time looking at the Easter Story. I am not complaining, it has been amazing. Today though, I really wanted to spend some time reading what took place around the time of the greatest of all miracles. I asked God to show me something I hadn't noticed before. And He did.

I read the gospel accounts, starting with Jesus' trial and going through to His resurrection. What I noticed this time, were all the unlikely heroes.

Peter - Oh how I love Peter! After Jesus is arrested, Peter denies Christ three times! This is the same guy that walked on water to Jesus! Oh passionate Peter.

Simon of Cyrene -  Traveled 900 miles to Jerusalem, taking weeks, most likely for the Passover. He had two sons, Alexander and Rufus. Matthew and Mark say he was "pressed into service, to bear the cross of Christ". This man just had come to Jerusalem from the country and these soldiers placed Christ's cross on his back to carry the rest of the way.

Joseph of Arimathea - John says he was a disciple of Jesus, but a secret one for fear of the Jews. He asked Pilate if he might take away the body of Jesus after His death. And that is what he did.
,
Nicodemus - Remember him? He is the one that came to Jesus by night (for fear). He was with Joseph. He had linen wrappings and spices as was the custom for burial.

Thomas - Poor Thomas was MIA when Jesus came and stood in the midst of His disciples. His buddies told him they saw Jesus (after His death), he said, "Unless I see it for myself, I will not believe". And he does end up seeing for himself and believing.

For some reason these men caught my attention. There is nothing special or outstanding about any of these men. Yet each one has an important role in this story. One denies Christ, one is tired, one is a secret follower, another has not been courageous, and the last one doubts. Not likely champions for Christ.

And that is probably why I love these guys so much. Just regular guys, they had jobs, they had families, they worried about their futures. Yet God brought them into His story. The greatest story ever.

What did they have in common? Why were they chosen? I really don't know, but I wonder if it is because they "showed up". I think we get these lofty ideas in our heads of how our lives should look, what grand thing we can do for Jesus. We must not be important in God's story if our names are not in lights. We aren't pastors or missionaries or worship leaders...you know not a lot of time in the spotlight.

Yet that is not how God works. He sees a prostitute like Rahab, or a murderer like Moses or a persecutor of the church like Paul. He sees you. He sees me. And He beckons us into His story. Into His family. Our job is to show up.


2 comments:

  1. So amazing, right? We just show up, in all of our sin, and the God of the universe does everything it takes to bring us to Himself- He gives us Jesus! Praise Him!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Nancy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...