Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Final Round!

This day seemed quite anti-climactic.  We went in for our 9am appointment.  The nurses checked with Dave about his neuropathy, it has been pretty bad (for him).  We had a scheduled appointment with our Oncologist at 9:20 so they decided to wait to begin treatment until we saw Dr. Senecal.  He decided to stop the Oxaliplatin (the chemo drug for colon cancer) that causes the neuropathy.  Dave still received the Leucovorin (a vitamin that helps the chemo be more effective) and the 5FU (chemo).  Then they hooked him up to his pump he carries with him for the next two days and we were off.

Well, that wasn't quite it...I did bring in cookies and dark chocolate with a thank you card, the staff has been amazing!  Everyone was excited for us, said they'd miss us.  I went up mid-way through the treatment to visit some friends that are sadly, just beginning their journey with Cancer.

It was a little surreal taking the elevator up.  While this is a different hospital than where we were for diagnosis and surgery, there were many similarities that flooded back memories.  A sunny day, over-sized windows, foamy hand sanitizer every 6 feet, machines buzzing as they cut through the silence, unknowns hanging in the air, nurses busy at computers, food under blue domed lids to hide it or keep it lukewarm, awful hospital gowns (though Lloyd pulls it off well!).  It was strange to walk in as a visitor. It was as if years had passed since that was our life, yet it has only been months.

I was struck with how unique each of our stories are...cancer used to be grouped into one big category in my mind.  I'm realizing how vast and complicated this disease is, how each person reacts differently to the disease and treatments, how it is no respecter of people.  No one is immune to the effects.  There is a sign where Dave receives his chemo that says, "Whoever said winning isn't everything never fought cancer".  I do hate cancer and I do believe we beat it.  I am still grateful for all it has taught us.  I hope we are better people because of it.

Anyway, Dave has a CAT scan on May 24 and a colonoscopy and surgery sometime soon.  The doctor gave us the game plan for the next five years (including appointments every 3 months).   And there you have it.  Told you it was anti-climactic.  But then again, we don't want "interesting" or "exciting" when it comes to cancer....boring is good.  So here's to our boring day!

3 comments:

  1. Boring is good! Wondering how Dr Senecal is doing with his cancer - it was him that I read about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the last treatment has started. I really don't know what to say here. I was going to write so deep profound piece that would of been suitable for framing. But then I realized my brain doesn't work that well right now. I can tell you this chemo brain is alive and well. So maybe I should leave the writing to Nancy and I'll stick to the thank yous. So with that I would like to say thank you to all that have kept me in your thoughts and prayers. I know there's some of you I have never met and others I haven't thanked. So I say thank you very much. It's because of you taking time out of your day that I am doing so well. Thank you Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know where you got the title for your blog. It is very appropriate. Dad and I send our love to you and Dave. Mom

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...