Friday, March 23, 2012

We have a winner!

Dave had a follow up appointment with the surgeon today, it went really well.  He gave Dave the green light to expand his diet!  Still no nuts or grains, but he can have a few slices of peeled apples and cooked veggies (no skin).  He already has started eating grapes, bananas and cantaloupe.  You just don't know how much you can miss fruits and veggies until you can't have them.  The other good news is that he doesn't have to have another "pressure" test...I don't think I mentioned that before, but he says that has been the most painful experience to date.  We were afraid he'd need another one since he didn't "pass" the first time.  (It basically checks if his colon is leaking).  Instead, he'll just get yet another colonoscopy and he is fine with that.

It looks like he'll have surgery in late June or early July.  They'll put his intestines back together and take out his port.  Ah, the end looks like it is in sight!

And in the mean time we are still being spoiled.  This is where the "winner" part of the story comes in...and you thought I was talking about Dave.  Shelley Zoller is the official winner of bringing a meal from the furthest distance!  Yeah Shelley from Beaverton, OR!

Here she is coming down our stairs tonight with her sister Suzanne.  They were on their way to see their sister up north so they stopped by and brought dinner and yummies~ (yippee for the big Trader Joe's bag loaded with my favorites!)  Shelley and I met when we were youngin's at PLU.  We instantly became kindred spirits always making each other smile at the silliest of things.  One of our mutual favorite memories was a Cannon Beach trip with some other girlfriends...I can't blog too much about that trip...there's only so much you want your children to find out about yourself!

So Shelley brought us Cannon Beach Bread (white for Dave, Cannon Beach Brand to make me smile).  She is just like that, very thoughtful, joyful, creative, kind and crazy.  I love that time and distance have not diminished our friendship.  I love that even though we hardly ever see each other, she would do something so generous and kind for my family.  I love that experiencing Cancer has shown us how amazing and generous people really are.  I am challenged and encouraged and profoundly blessed to be surrounded by friends like Shelley.  Love you friend!  (And Suzanne, it was great to see you too...you are equally infused with the joy your sister shares with us.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Miss Shelley is impressive and so generous!! I'm happy that you were blessed by her kindness. How did she know that Trader Joe's is one of your favorite grocery stores? Sounds like you might need another visit from your nurse friend in late June or early July to keep you company when Dave is put back together. Keep me posted. I love you tons, friend!

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...