Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chemo #5

I wonder if we'll remember today in 10 years.  This should be a significant day in the life of the Shaffers.  We have started the 5th round of chemotherapy.  Dave had his pump connected to his port this afternoon, the little "zzzzt" sound every 90 seconds reminding us of its presence.  Thursday at 4pm he'll be through with this round.  Then, only three left.

Today was a long day filled with lunch packing, praying, working, phone calls, chemo, facebook, picking up kids, emailing, getting chia seeds from Kathy, hula, grocery shopping, caring for my aunt, homework with kids, coordinating schedules for tomorrow and of course blogging about it all.  Really though what will we remember from this day?

I probably won't think, "should have worn flats instead of heals"...though I should have.  I won't think, "shouldn't of had that brownie" ...because why would I say that?  I probably won't remember that Debbie Le made me cry ...she tends to do that a lot.  I won't wonder how many days it had been since Daniel bathed ...this should be remedied, but hey, one thing at a time.

My days seem to blur together and I don't know why I'm wondering if I'll remember this day in 10 years, because really, I can't remember what happened 10 days ago.  I do know that I'll remember God's faithfulness to us during a long, difficult journey.  I know I'll be grateful for such an incredible support group that uphheld us (thanks Jennifer and Kathy for taking care of our kids today).  I will remember the grace given to me by coworkers and friends as I tried to juggle this crazy life of mine.

And I hope I'll be remembering all of this with my husband of 30 years.  That will make all of this worth it, looking back and remembering the good that came from these days.


I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
Psalm 77:11

3 comments:

  1. Dear Nancy and Dave: Thinking of you. Praying for you. (And secretly glad someone else's 8-year-old is overdue for a bath, because mine is too.) Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why will we remember today ? For me it's because it's another day I sit with tears in my eyes at 230 am being able to listen to my son grumble in his sleep, look at my daughter laying in bed in ways that shouldn't be possible for the human body to lay, and stare the wonderful woman God gave me 20 years ago.Most of all I will remember because I will still be here reading this blog REMEMBERING how gracious, caring and loving God is. We will be here because No matter how big cancer is God is so much bigger. Thank you Nancy for being you.please forgive me for all the times I didn't understand your caring, helping heart. God has given you a wonderful gift and I will due my best to fully support you in using it from now forward. I love you.
    For all of you reading this thank you so much for all the things you do. And please know we appreciate everything and we couldn't make it without you.
    Love to all
    Dave
    ps. There is so much more on my heart I really pray you all know how grateful I am to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you'll remember the chia seeds, because they'll still be in the back of your cupboard, after one unpleasant taste. Sorry my wife is a chia seed pusher.

    Seriously, I think you put your finger on it -- God and His faithfulness are the best things we take away from this life.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...