Monday, March 12, 2012

Follow up to Round 3

I guess we fared well during this "in between" time from Round 3 to Round 4 since I haven't posted in almost two weeks!  "No news is good news" is apparently true in this case.  While Dave did have the "normal" issues (pain, neurophathy, lack of appetite, stinging in the stoma, fatigue etc), he felt better than after Round 2!  We are grateful.  And now we are heading into the 1/2 way point of treatment.  Tomorrow Dave gets the 4th of his 8 treatments.

We get to see Dr. Senacal before the treatment, then we sit for four hours while Dave gets hydration, steroids, anti-nausea meds and chemo.  He'll get his pump and chemo bag placed for the next 46 hours and off we'll go.  It is strange what feels normal now.  The room that I used to describe as bland and depressing now has a new dimension to it.  As we have met the nurses and some of the other patients, it has changed into a room of hope for me.  (Even with a death of a patient and the tears that were shed, we know of eternal life in Christ and the hope that brings) Many of these patients have endured much more than Dave, and they are all smiling.  The nurses have constant encouragement, even though you know they must have bad days.  And this drug that costs way too much (financially, physically and emotionally) is extending my husband's life.

I'm grateful for this attitude adjustment and that God has allowed me to see beyond the physical, temporary four walls of this room to that which is far more valuable, the people inside that room and a thing called hope.  Praying you can see beyond your circumstances to something more valuable also.  I'll update after tomorrow!

Psalm 147:11
...but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Nancy. Love you and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are fast...you are watching Julia tomorrow right? : )

      Delete
  2. Have been thinking a lot about you guys in the last few weeks. I am happy to hear that round 3 wasn't as bad as round 2. Can you believe he is 1/2 way through? God is good! I'll email you with some dates of maybe a lunch get-together either in Centralia or I'll just come up there. I am missing you, friend! Love to you, Dave, Julia, Daniel and Whiskers :)

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...