Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What's New

Not much.  We saw Dave's oncologist yesterday.  Again, I have to say, this is an amazing doctor.  It was a quick no nonsense appointment, just checking in...it felt kind of like having coffee with a friend.  I think my blood pressure actually lowered being there. We chatted, they took more of Dave's blood.  Dave had more questions of what the future looks like.  It was good to get more of the picture (possibility of a port, 4-6 months of chemo post-surgery etc)  Dr. Senecal did say for now, Dave would be getting more tired and would generally feel yucky, but if that is it, we'll take it! (of course it is not me feeling yucky and tired)

You know I was thinking about our "instant" society.  Microwaves, instant coffee, fast food, email, live-streaming.  We get what we want and we get it now.  I think that is one reason I like special events (birthday parties, retreats, conference) you have a beginning, middle and end.  Then you are done and you move on to the next task.  Life isn't so much that way.  I'm about done with this cancer and it's not even me that has it!  That's been the weird part of this journey.  Dave is in this for the long haul, there is not an instant fix (well, again, God is able...but it looks like the slow-cooker version, not the microwave version). And while we (he) goes to radiation 5 days a week and takes his chemo pills everyday and we schedule the doctors visits around school and work...we still need to get homework done, go grocery shopping, keep up with the laundry...those daily tasks.  How do you weave these worlds together?  What task do you tackle first? 


I still don't know, but I do know you just have to be flexible and laugh often.  Take for instance, if your daughter smears whip cream all over your son...you just need to get his life jacket on and throw him in the lake.  That is a priority.  And it's a definite laugh.

Our part: Faithfulness.  Day by day.  Step by step.  Moment by moment.  Listening to His voice.

God will: Be committed to us, keep His covenant with us, watch, protect, provide, forgive, love, comfort, discipline.  He is for us and not against us and He is in this for the long haul too. 

And together I'm sure we'll laugh along the way, day by day, step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...