Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

Have you ever experienced that moment when you willed yourself not to cry?  In your head you repeat over and over "Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry"...then, blink, blink, blink...head shake, brave face...confident walk, okay we're good.  This seemed to be my mantra today.  

Somehow I thought today wouldn't be so bad.  The "big" days aren't supposed to be hard, it is the unexpected days right?  I don't know, maybe since this is my first Mother's Day without my mom it was harder, or maybe since it's been less than two months since she went to be with Jesus.  Or maybe this is just our new normal.  

I'd love to end the day with some sweet thoughts of my mom, so here is one of my all time favorite photos of her.  I'm not quite sure what it is about it, but I absolutely love it.
I think it was taken when I was in High School, we are on a day trip, she is in her Willets Canoe.  She always had an adventure awaiting us.  A family excursion in the beautiful outdoors.  She carefully planned the details: picnic lunches, bug spray, red checkered table cloth...yet I don't remember her frantic or worried, just ready for fun with a great amount of patience.  She looks so relaxed in this picture (she should, she isn't paddling!). No matter the circumstances (cranky kids or chronic back pain), she somehow managed to create a ridiculous amount of happy memories for us.  We usually sang girl scout songs or played games in the car.  I am so grateful for the legacy she left in valuing family, fun and the outdoors.  I am certain most of my good mommy moments came from her example.

For some reason, I didn't see how influential she had been in my life until she was gone. So much of who I am is who she was.  This life really is so short and each of us will leave a legacy when we are gone.  Our choices will be echoed for generations.  May our moments today be sweet memories for all the tomorrows yet to come.

My sister emailed something my mom used to say, "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings." (Robert Louis Stevenson)  I believe she truly was happy, it was a choice she made and trait she inspired in others.

Happy Mother's Day dear ones, you are loved.

1 comment:

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...