Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pirouette!

SURPRISE!
Today we pulled the kids out of school a little early for another surprise adventure...I'd better slow down otherwise they are going to expect this way too often.  However, I could not pass on this incredible opportunity!

Just over a week ago, my Aunt Anitha sent me a link to a blog from the News Tribune about sailing aboard the Thunderbird #2 sailboat, the Pirouette to be exact.  There were several chances to sail for free this month. This happened to be my great uncle's boat (Admiral James Russell) and then my Uncle Ken's boat.  (Anitha's late husband).  Anitha wrote, "This was our boat for many years. I spent my honeymoon on this boat and we have many wonderful memories of vacations and relaxing and exciting times in all kinds of weather". This boat is now owned by the Gig Harbor BoatShop.  Volunteers spent over 2 years renovating this boat (labor of love I might say) and thousand of dollars restoring her to her original condition.  In fact here is a picture of Jaime Storkman, one of the men that made this possible.  (So sad I didn't get a picture of his good buddy Ed Josberger who together took us out into the harbor)


We were able to take advantage of a cancellation and go sailing today!  Jaime and Ed were amazing, letting the kids move around the boat freely and even allowing Daniel to steer with the tiller.  They are Thunderbird owners and are experts in my opinion about these beautiful boats.  The boats were designed in 1957 to be both a racing and cruising boat, to sleep four, be capable of being built by reasonably skilled amateurs, to be powered by an outboard auxiliary and outperform all other sailboats in its class.  The challenge was that the boat had to be built of plywood, a concept that was virtually unheard of at the time. (excerpt from Gig Harbor BoatShop flyer)  Ed Hoppen built this boat, sold it to the Thorpe's, then my great uncle purchased it.  It was in our family for about 30 years. It was really fun hearing Jaime share fond memories of my Uncle Ken. He was an adventurous, fun loving, family man. I got a little sad as I envisioned him out here sailing with Jaime and Ed.


I cannot express what a treat this was (Did I mention, these men are still volunteering?  They did this for FREE?!) I never would have dreamt for a chance like this...you all know my passion for the water, add family history and my husband and kids....wow.
I must add that Dave said this was the most relaxing 90 minutes he's had in weeks.  This was the icing on the cake.  Dave's really been struggling, working long hours, in constant pain, wondering if the cancer will return.  For him to have this afternoon was priceless.
(Look ~ he's smiling!)

 
And so are we!
 It was smooth sailing, way to go buddy!


Isn't she beautiful~
 (Thunderbird #2 - yes, the second one built, amazing right?)
Well done Eddon Boat Company and thank you Jaime and Ed for a fantastic and memorable day.
We'll be back for sure!

3 comments:

  1. Dad and I have been on the boat (I hesitate to spell it). We went for a ride over to Gig Harbor. Barbequed steak dinner on board. We were with Ken, and Don and Katherine. It got dark on the way back, and a man in a motor boat hailed us. He had been drinking! couldn't find his way home. Ken threw him a line and towed him home. We watched the phospherous on little fish. That's a trip I'll never forget. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on that trip, too, with Mom, Dad, and relatives. I absolutely loved our time on that boat. The "glowing" fish were mesmerizing. A wonderful memory. Glad your family now has a memory on the boat as well.
    Lily

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...