Saturday, February 13, 2016

40 Day Journey - Day 3 (he believed)

I only made it through three chapters again today. There is so much packed in these chapters, I am overwhelmed a bit.

Before I read Genesis 13-15 today, I said my 3 words. Expectantly, attentively, humbly.  This is how I approach my time listening to God through His word. There really is a lot in those three chapters. How do I pick one theme/thought for today?

The one that is the most exciting is in Genesis 15:1

After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great."

Up until this point the Bible reads, "God said", but this is the first mention of the "word of the Lord". We know from the gospel of John, that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. So was this Jesus that came to Abram?

The Lord shows Abram the stars. If Abram were able to count the stars, that would be the number of his descendants.  At this point Abram has no children, and is a little old to be having children. This surely seems impossible. Abram's response?  Verse 6 says, "Then he believed in the Lord..."  Abram didn't believe in the words. He believed in The Word. Jesus. Then the Lord reckoned it to him as righteousness.

We can only be made righteous by faith in Jesus Christ.  Yet this is taking place thousands of years before Jesus is even born!  What does it mean to be made righteous?  We use that word as an insult sometimes in our culture.  "Oh he thinks he's so righteous.", we say of someone that irritates us.

God alone is righteous, We are counted as righteous through faith in Jesus alone. Our righteousness is based on what Christ did on the cross. Yet this was given to Abram before Christ was made flesh. Wow. I know this is overly simplistic, but I think it basically means we are "made right" before the Lord.  We are sinners and have no place before a Holy God.  But because of Jesus, we can be in His presence.

This makes me think of the theme of Day 1 - life and death. The hope of having children is dead for Abram and Sarai. (death) Yet the word of the Lord comes to Abram and says, "one from your own body, he shall be your heir." (life)

In the book of Romans, we read more insight into Abraham's life.  Romans 4:17 says that Abraham believed in the one "who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist."  In that dark night as the Lord showed Abram the stars, Abram believed.  God's promise was clear. As clear as those stars.

Maybe that is what God is asking of us now.  In our dark moments, will we choose to believe that He can call into existence the things that do not exist? Our hopes, our dreams, our future are in His hands. May His truth shine clear to you today.




No comments:

Post a Comment

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...