Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Come to Me

A few months back we attended a fund raiser for some friends heading back to be full time missionaries in Niger. While Andy was sharing his story, he mentioned something that I have been thinking about ever since.

He said that often when missionaries share their stories they share how God has said "Go" (referring to the Great Commission).  For Andy though, he heard, "Come to Me". It was as if God was at work in Niger and was calling the Gray family back to be a part of what He was already doing.  I'm sure I probably totally reworded his message...but it is close.

Matthew 11:28 came to mind quickly, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."  I often have thought of this verse to apply only when we are exhausted from overworking. But what if it is a continual beckoning?  The longer I live this life, the more frequent the burdens and with increasing weight. There are more decisions that need to be made. More wisdom is needed.

At this moment I am sitting in a dark room listening to the beat of an  IV pump .  It is 2:30am and my dad is finally resting from an exhausting day of tests and xrays.  I don't think anyone told me this is what our lives would look like in this season. My mom should be calling to set a Starbucks date with my daughter.  My dad should be telling us stories of Ohana in Hawaii. Instead my mom is in heaven with her sister and my dad is saying night-night from the hospital bed.

This moment, this quiet night, is just one in a string of heavy-laden moments.  Yet I am at rest.  St. Augustine has this quote, "Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee."

Through these trials, these sufferings, God has been my rest. I continue to come to Him, for without Him I am restless.  I have learned over the last several years that there is purpose in our struggles. God is waiting for us to come to Him.  Sometimes all the way to Niger and sometimes in a hospital room in the middle of the night. As we put our trust and hope in Him, He directs our paths straight into His arms and straight into His purposes for our lives. What better place to find true rest?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautifully written Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirit helps us in our weakness. We don't even know what we should pray, we are at such a loss for words sometimes. But he knows the mind of God and prays for us. Those heavy burdens look daunting. But we know God is with us in the middle of it all. He will never leave us or forsake us. He is Immanuel, "God with us".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sitting outside the the hospital where my great-nephew, Justus is. I have always found comfort in your words so I decided to read your blog. I haven't been able to sleep...to rest. My heart is restless. You're right, it will be restless till it finds rest in Him. Thank you my friend. I will try to rest now...in Him.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...