Sunday, December 4, 2011

NG tube

One more apparatus to add to our repertoire!  Yes, an NG tube (nasogastric for you lay people...yes, I just googled it).  Dave was so uncomfortable from all the gas/air in his stomach.  I guess this is very common with any kind of bowel operation, his stomach looked like it would pop if he even looked at a porcupine.  Thank you to all of you that have endured his almost constant burping.  So after the kids and I left tonight the nurse tried to put the tube down his nose, yes, tried.  It was so painful they stopped then tried the other side.  Success.  Pretty quick like, they pulled out 1500 cc's of fluid.  There is finally some relief, except now his throat is really sore.  They'll keep the tube in at least through tomorrow if I understand right.  Dr. Levin (which has the same letters as "evil" he says) will come by tomorrow and check on him. 

Dave continues to be a star patient.  He got up about 5 or 6 times to walk around the hallway.  Because of this issue with the bloating, Dave has been on an all liquid diet.  This has been fine for him since he is not hungry at all.  The problem though is, he can't go home until he eats solid food for 24 hours.  And he can't eat with that NG tube.  So my hopes of him being home by Tuesday, I think, are dashed. 

Tomorrow is a brand new day, praying this tube will be effective and when I see my husband again, he will feel well.  Good night my friends!

3 comments:

  1. Just remember, all things happen for a reason:

    “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”‘ – Rom 8:28

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait!!! I voted for Tuesday. Will be praying. I'm sorry there has been this little hiccup. Thankful for modern medicine that can alleviate the gas *relatively* easily.

    Praying for continued peace, strength, and endurance as you all continue to run (walk!) this race to win the prize......

    Love you all.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that Dave will finally get some relief. I secretly think he loved all the burping because he knew no one could tell him to stop! That's a man for ya! :) I hope you are getting rest and some peace for yourself. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete

More Questions Than Answers

On January 1, I shared that I felt by this point in my life I would have "more answers than questions." I also confessed that fe...